Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OC 6-23 Worst Kayak Day For Pinch Ever!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OC 6-23 Worst Kayak Day For Pinch Ever!!

Met up with Matt(CB Kayak 02) at 600am at the comercial boatramp in Ocean city. We geared up and headed out, so far so good. We setup in the channel and started jigging and drifting. After a crazy number of crabs i hooked up with this guy (13'')
    Good start, i found a flounder. Matt decides to head over to the channel under the rt50 bridge, I stay back to fish a ledge from 10-26'. After an unproductive drift i decide to go find Matt and see how he is doing. I turn the rudder and start to peddle the Revo and it feels....not right....Its Slow to turn and its listing pretty hard. Luckly the Revo has a hatch right between the legs so i can take a peak. Now this is where the day goes south....I open the hatch to find the my wet well submerged and the hobie tackle box floating...hmmmm...Now what.. To my left about 400yds was assateague Island with a nice beach so i slowly work my way over and beach the yak.

Here is a shot after about 30 minutes of draining time:

(side note another kayak angler from PA paddled over to see what was going on, his name is Dan and hopefully he joins snaggedline soon. I made him promise he would for a reason you will read about later in this post)

I drain the yak and without finding the leak decide to keep fishing..I drove all the way down here to fish, im gonna fish. That idea lasted about 40minutes when i checked inside the Hobie again to find...More water...ugh...I make my way back to the launch and put the revo up on the car and take down the tourque. I get the torque all ready and head back out to the fishing grounds where i meet matt coming back across the inlet. Dan Had already told him what had happened. Matt and I drifted for a little longer until matt had to goto work. When Matt left i headed over to the channel under the 50 bridge. I meet up with dan there and he is slaying the Shad. I start throwing my 1oz white bucktail Pink gulp combo at the pilings hoping the day would get better and what do you know i get hit....HARD...Drag pulling head shaking madness insues. Thats when the days karma stepped in and said NO! the fish, whatever it was wrapped the rudder and ran into the prop on the torque...good bye fish... Words cannot describe the way im feeling at this moment. I borrow a bucktail from Dan and continue my jigging assault on the pilings. Soon after I get hit again but this time im at a better angle and there is not escape. I reel in a 24-28'' flounder, HUGE!! Im pumped. Dan saw this flounder which is why i asked him to get on here and confirm the "big fish" story. Before i say what is about to be said please, if youre going to fish for flounder, BRING A NET...AHHHHHHH.. I lift him a few inches out of the water, he freaks, and spits the hook.....awesome....sigh..... More stuff and thigs happened, I picked up another flounder at 15'' and Saw a big blue jump and a needle fish. I also got yelled at by a tour boat b/c my flag wasnt high enough.....seriously they almost hit me...
    I get back to the launch at the end of the day and head home. On the way i stop at backyard boats in Annapolis to diagnose the Revo. heres what we found:

Right where the mirage drive goes. The fellows at BYB's said the crack in this spot was grim and repair may not be an option. The revo's future is in the hands of the people at Hobie now...I feel like i just wrecked a BMW or had my dog ran over....
    (side note here is what i used today that got all the hits)
    Interstate Kayak Fishing

Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

If you bought it new and most of the time used, Hobie will replace it. Sorry to hear you had a bad day ........ but hey ...... you got some nice fish on .......

Comment

wow, bummer! hate to have that great boat in the shop. Must be a rare occurrence I have never read about that being a problem. And with the flounder biting!
        14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
        2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

That is the worst day I've heard about in quite some time. At least you got into some fish.

Bass Pro has a good net for around $15. It's got a goofy pink handle, and I think they call it a "promo" net. You'll want to put a piece of pool noodle on it because they sink. I also bought a couple of trout fishing net magnets. When I had my Outback, I put the halves of two magnets on the (second) net and the other halves on the bow of my boat. When I'm actively flounder fishing, I'll stick the net to the bow to have it in easy reach. I haven't tried it yet on the Revo, but it should still work, in theory. The magnets held the net strong enough that taking waves over the bow didn't move it.
          Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

That's rough Pinch. Hopefully BYB will have some good news for you.

Sounds like the fish were there though and that flounder that got away will haunt you! I lost one at J-bay that wasn't that big (maybe 20-22) trying to flip it in the boat. The second one I hooked I set the rod down and just pulled it over the rail with my other hand as back up to grab it. I still almost lost it and had to slam it on the deck. Thankfully it had almost swallowed my 6" swimbait so that helped... Definitely need a net for flounder and it sucks when you loose a keeper!
            Last edited by Redfish12; 06-23-2011, 11:07 PM.
            Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
            Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
            https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Wow, what a story. I hope you get the yak fixed, Pinch.
              2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
              2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
              2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Bummer there, Pinch. Tough day for sure. Hobie is usually pretty good standing behind their products. Hope that work out for you. Now...

"I reel in a 24-28'' flounder, HUGE!!"

I wanna go! Matt had suggested the August M&G be over there. I'm up for that. Although someone mentioned the boat traffic on a Saturday might make it tough. If you guys are planning another weekday give me a couple days notice and I'll try to join you...

Comment

Sorry about having such a bad day Pinch. Thank goodness you had a second yak to fall back on. I too learned a long time ago to always have a net for the big fish, especially a flounder. When you called me I suspected the crack might have occurred in the mirage drive well. I read some reports about that in older model Revo's, but Hobie re-inforced the well area in later models. Well, good luck on your surgery and heal fast so we can make a return visit in OC and revenge the day you had.

Comment

WOW, what a story! that really blows about the Hobie, but i'm sure they will do do right. if its out of warranty, it seems at the least they will replace it prorated, but they typically replace it with a new boat, minus shipping.

i think those cracks happen from not tightening the drive down fully, and/or loosening of the clamps, which cause the drive to bang on the hull. that and manufacturing defect of thin plastic in that area, at least according to hobie's forums.

let us know what happens. what year is your hobie btw?
                    sigpic

Comment

That sucks on the Revo and the flattie! I guess I'm bringing my net with me again.

The older Revo's had that problem and for some people they gave them a new Revo. Pray Hobie continues the trend.

Comment

Damn..you lost a doormat flounder. Well at least you hooked into one, I've never caught one that big. Also lol @ the boater yelling at you. That's their fault for not looking well enough, you took the necessary safety measures. I don't even have a flag yet and haven't had problems with boaters seeing me.
                        2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

^ i still dont believe in flags....

is it better than nothing? maybe...

but i have never noticed a flag before a yaker....shoot, most of he times, the flag is set at even or 12" above the yaker....

i dunno, i'm still a flag skeptic i guess
                          sigpic

Comment

just found out citation flounder size is 24'' damnit..lol
                            Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Great story, sucks about the yak & the lost flounder though
                              <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Working...
                              X