Kayak Fishing Claiborne Landing 6/19/2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak Fishing Claiborne Landing 6/19/2011

John (SurfSam) wanted to try out Claiborne Landing on the Eastern Bay. I was thinking of fishing Weems Creek in Annapolis for perch, but instead decided on Claiborne after reading the weather report that put the winds at 5mph, which was great. The winds were important since Claiborne is so exposed on open water. The skies would be cloudy most of the day with a hint of a light drizzle later in the morning. The temperature was going to get up into the upper 80's or maybe 90 degrees.

The great thing about Claiborne is that it is in Talbot County, which allow you to launch your boat for free. The Claiborne ramp has parking for cars and vehicles with trailer. There is a small pier there that people crab off of. There is a porta john there, and that is about it. It is a nice place to launch from.

I met John at 5:00am at Anglers, where we got our bait. I picked up a dozen bloodworms and a pack of frozen bait shrimp. John had bloodworms and peeler crabs for his bait. When we got to Claiborne and launched the kayaks, it was just after 6:30am. I used a small net to catch a few grass shrimp to use as additional bait. So far my Hobie setup was working great. It is definitely faster than my Tarpon. I was surprised how stable it was since it was slightly more narrower then my Tarpon. The deluxe aluminum rod holders were a gem to use for both bottom fishing and trolling. I first fished a bottom fishing rig tipped with grass shrimp around a dock. I landed a small bluefish. John and I decided to head to deeper water to bottom fish since close to shore was pretty dead except for the small blue that I caught. Near the shore it was only 4 to 6 feet of water. I trolled a spinner towards 24 feet of water and caught a small rockfish that I released. When we made it to the 24 foot area, I drift a fish finder rig tipped with shrimp and a traditional top/bottom bottom fishing rig tipped with bloodworms. While drifting we nailed the fish. One of my better fishing experiences for the year. My fish finder rig with shrimp was my hot combination. I caught large perch, 15 inch croakers and jumbo spots on that rig. Not to be out done, my second rod with bloodworms landed its fair share of croaker and spots. Some of these croakers were hard fighters. My best rig that caught the most fish was the fishfinder rig. It seems that alot of the larger fish were on the bottom. I am still getting use to my new fish finder. I was not marking fish like I thought that I would. I definitely need to get a chip with the marine maps on it. Also I need to get a bigger capacity battery since the color unit with GPS will go through your battery.

By 10:15am we were off of the water. It was a very good day of fishing with John. We left the fish biting. I caught 5 different species, which was cool. There was also a tip from a boater that there are 17 to 20 inch croakers lurking in the area just south of Claiborne in 20 feet of water a short paddle south of the boat ramp. I must go back, weather permitting.
    Attached Files

Very nice!

How far is this place from DC?

Comment

WTG Moc!
      I'm thinking about going Saturday..
      GB

Comment

Nice!

Comment

I may go to if you go Grady. It took us maybe 1 hour and 15 mins or maybe 90 minutes depending on where you are coming from.

Comment

I'd like to join you if you're going this upcoming weekend, especially after having no luck this past weekend near SPSP. I have a meeting I have to be at on Saturday @ 1pm, so either evening Friday, evening Saturday, or whenever Sunday would work for me. What's the exact address of the launch area or a nearby address so I can check it on googlemaps?
            2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Very nice report. I see that jumbo spot poking its head out of your bucket.

Are you able to get a full day out of your battery? Is Claiborne on the eastern side of the bay?

Comment

awesome report and pics. i definitely need to check that place out, but do you think it's that much better area than launching from Romancoke considering it's pretty much across from it and same body of water? if anything, romancoke has more drop offs and deeper water, no?

Directions to Claiborne landing:
                MD Route 50/301. Slight right to MD Route 50 east. Right to MD Route 322 (Easton
                Parkway) south, continue on MD Route 322. Right at MD Route 33 (St. Michaels Road)
                west. Slight right at Claiborne Road. Left at Claiborne Landing Road, drive to the end.
                sigpic

Comment

google claiborne landing. or mdnr launch maps and go to talbot county.

fished romancoke 2 weeks ago in the CCA tournament and it was dead and i zigzaged the deep channel. there are some awsome drops by CL check the charts one goes to almost 50' from 10' very nice launch.

ha couple of those croaker almost pulled my rod out of the rod holder, had 2 on at 1 time and got them up but the bigger of the 2 got off at the boat

heading back sat. morning and maybe sunday too. probably off the water by 11 before the heat kicks in

had no problem with my ff every time i said we were over fish we got hit, 20-25' 0f h2O by the clam buoys

claiboure is about 12 miles past st michaels
                  Last edited by surfdog; 06-21-2011, 06:06 PM. Reason: fingers quicker than my mind

Comment

Those croakers look good. Still deciding whether to join you or go to Mattawoman.

When is high tide at Clairborne?
                    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

went out to clairborne today. got out to 25' of water and started picking up fish. Wind picked up and with the tide we were in 3ft whitecaps so we headed back. There are fish there though and its not a bad drive either.
                      Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Yeah, like I said, Claiborne is open water and is affected by the wind. My first time going there with a group of Kayakers, we decided to pick another river to fish because the Eastern Bay water had kicked up with small white caps and strong current. I would not want to paddle through that. As for my FF, I ordered a 12v 12ah battery. It is only 1 inch thicker than the standard 7ah battery alot of kayakers use. That should allow my FF/GPS combo to last all day. The GPS Option really eats battery power.

If the winds are good on Saturday, I will most likely fish the morning. Anyone is welcome to come and join.

Comment

That was a nice load of fish in the bucket there, Martin. I wouldn't mind finding some of those spot and 17-20" croakers on this side of the Bay.
                          Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
                            That was a nice load of fish in the bucket there, Martin. I wouldn't mind finding some of those spot and 17-20" croakers on this side of the Bay.
                            Well Bill, you are welcome to make the trek with us. At three of us will be meeting at the WaWa on Rt 50 just before you get to Anglers Sport Shop on the right at 4:30am on Saturday, weather permitting. Then just a short easy right to Claiborne.

Comment

So early! I live a little over an hour away from there, I was going to ask about joining you but dont know if I can drag my butt out of bed that early

Comment

Working...
                              X