Spanish Mackeral fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spanish Mackeral fishing

anybody target spanish macs from the yak?? tips? i'm gonna give it a shot on saturday and paddle around eastern bay.
    sigpic

make sure to post a report on that!
    I would love to hear how ya do on that.

Comment

Originally posted by stupidjet View Post
      anybody target spanish macs from the yak?? tips? i'm gonna give it a shot on saturday and paddle around eastern bay.
      Hey Jet,
      Where are you planning to launch from RomanCoke/Shipping Creek? I may go out there myself but not sure yet.

Comment

i am planning on launching from romancoke. i havent been there in years...probably the last time was 7 years ago. there is a beach kinda of area to launch from on the left, right? or was it rocks? or do i have to drop it in fromt he bulkhead at the parking lot?
        sigpic

Comment

hmmm...

SAT
          N WINDS 5 TO 10 KT...BECOMING S IN THE AFTERNOON. WAVES 1 TO
          2 FT. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

SAT NIGHT
          S WINDS 5 TO 10 KT. WAVES 1 FT. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND
          TSTMS.

SUN
          SW WINDS 5 TO 10 KT...BECOMING NW. WAVES 1 FT. A CHANCE OF
          TSTMS. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS.
          sigpic

Comment

there is a beach at low tide but, they have a narrow ramp from the grassy area on the left. kind a trickey at high tide but not bad. Damselfish got in on the ramp and slid in to the water looked like fun. fishing reports say better chance at breezy point for macks, said thay are hitting at the green can out front. let me know if you go to romancoke going to get the revo wet for the 1st time, almost cryed when i helped load my redfish and tarpon and watched them go down the road

Comment

Pending water and weather conditions I may try "rumncoke" on Sunday. Never fished specifically for macs before but have always wanted to try. I've caught them fishing for blues on a gotcha multiple times. Good luck

Comment

Saturday looks like crap, i'm shooting for sunday also.

Comment

Where are you guys planning to launch from? Is there really a launch area at the Coke?

Comment

yes, costs 10 bux unless you have a queen anne ramp pass, 25 bux at anglers for the year(ends in December).it can be a little tricky at high tide but at low tide there is a beach. nice drop off past the marker in front of the pier.

Comment

I'm game for Sunday if anyone's going. If the smack fishing doesn't pan out, I'ma huntin' flatties

Too bad we're not in Florida...lots of spanish and kings there within easy reach of a surf-launched yak

Comment

Originally posted by AtlantaKing View Post
                        I'm game for Sunday if anyone's going. If the smack fishing doesn't pan out, I'ma huntin' flatties

Too bad we're not in Florida...lots of spanish and kings there within easy reach of a surf-launched yak
                        Man, I've never gotten a MAC or Stripe on a Yak before...First year yaking (and loving it man). Be nice if I could land one. Getting too many Croaks, Rays, spots... Where you fishin from King? Have you gotten any Macs from your yak? Where aer you fishin? What are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by AtlantaKing View Post

I'll be there early Sunday no matter the tide. I'm the yellow mad river synergy 14 in the black tacoma. Think I met you at spsp bbq a few weeks back.

I'm going to try some live lining for rocks, drifting for flats and toss the fly if I find some blues... I feel a massive tangle in my future. I've never yaked that side of the island so we'll see.

Comment

Milkfish, this is my first year owning a yak so it's kinda new to me too. I used to live in Atlanta and go down to the FL panhandle piers to fish. In the late spring, early summer, there'd be plenty of big spanish and kings to catch from the pier. I have no doubt that during that time, one could catch spanish and kings from a surf-launched yak since the pier is only about 1600 long. Paddling out that far wouldn't take long. Go out there and slow troll a live bait and it'd be golden. Spanish fishing in the Chesapeake's going to be harder since it involves covering a lot of water...

S14turbo, I think we did meet. You had the yak tied up at an angle, from the tail gate to the top of the cab, right? I'm game for whatever on Sunday provided the weather's not too bad.

My original plan for tomorrow was going flattie hunting. South of PLO are some nice bars and drop offs that I found a couple of weeks ago (busted two 19" flounder that day and a striper, too). Drifting through the drop offs produced the fish. That's still an option if anyone's interested.
                            Last edited by AtlantaKing; 08-29-2009, 10:03 AM.

Comment

well, i wasnt able to make it out today, so gonna try and make it out tomorrow but i wont know until later. that said, if you see a gray truck with a khaki hobie, thats me. i'll be strictly fishing for macs. i'm tired of stripers. lol
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X