Piscataway Creek Part 2: BAB Action 6/19/11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piscataway Creek Part 2: BAB Action 6/19/11

As reported previously, we had an excellent morning Saturday morning angling for catfish. We cooked them up whole on a Bayou cast iron griddle sitting on 20,000BTU gas flame. Good eatin. Fried the rest up on Sunday, accompanied by corn bread. The meat was excellent with mild flavor. Lacked the musky smell that some wild catfish emanates.

The mess of catfish reinforced my confidence that I could still actually catch fish. So, I went back Sunday solo, this time looking for trophy bass, getting up at 4:30, and getting on the water before six. It was overcast and drizzling rain.

As an experiment, this year I’ve dropped small Senkos in favor of different and larger baits looking for larger fish. Didn't have a great day numerically but did catch several quality bass.

Worked the lily pads and grass edges with a frog and Jitterbug. Got one BAB on each.

Explored a channel off the main creek that went for miles - peddled all the way to Indian Head Hiway before turning back. The water was stained but got a keeper off a creature bait - Bush Hog to be exact.

Ended up with three at least 18”. Not a bad Father's day. Just wish my son could have been with me but he is still on his honey moon.

nice bass!
    sigpic

Comment

Nice catch-
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Uh ....... let's see ........... Rocky Gorge and now Mattawoman ..........

Dude ........ you ARE the Badassbass Master !!!!!!!!

Good Job !!!!!

Comment

Thanks Mr. MemoryMaker

I appreciate the kudos. I give some credit for the big fish to Ron and Jerry Sauter at Bass Pro for their tips.

Jerry Sauter has held 20 plus Maryland state records. He is generous with his advice and gave me several tips on hunting trophy bass, giving up numbers for quality. I've even called him from the water, told him where I was at, what the conditions were, and he tells me what lures he would use and how to use them.

Don't always work and he can't communicate finesse and presentation skill over the phone, but I have landed much larger fish after talking to him - or better, listening to him.

One tip Ron gave me was to get my a-- out of bed and hit the waters at Sunup. I knew that already but had been fishing evenings instead. I usually get some killer evenings in but they haven't turned on as much this year.

Comment

Originally posted by BadAssBass View Post
            I appreciate the kudos. I give some credit for the big fish to Ron and Jerry Sauter at Bass Pro for their tips.

Jerry Sauter has held 20 plus Maryland state records. He is generous with his advice and gave me several tips on hunting trophy bass, giving up numbers for quality. I've even called him from the water, told him where I was at, what the conditions were, and he tells me what lures he would use and how to use them.

Don't always work and he can't communicate finesse and presentation skill over the phone, but I have landed much larger fish after talking to him - or better, listening to him.

One tip Ron gave me was to get my a-- out of bed and hit the waters at Sunup. I knew that already but had been fishing evenings instead. I usually get some killer evenings in but they haven't turned on as much this year.
            Another tip ........... hit them after dark .......... it's actually better than in the morning .........

Oh ....... and don't be humble ........... Jerry can give all the tips he wants and others don't catch like that ......... take the bows when you can cause there's many more time that you can't

Comment

Working...
            X