Slow afternoon on College Creek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow afternoon on College Creek

I have fished Weems Creek quite a bit recently and thought I would try another Annapolis water body for a change. I launched in College Creek at 1:30 and paddled and fished until 4:30. I fished nearly the entire shoreline of College Creek upstream of the Rt 450 bridge. For some reason, I did not have a very successful day. The bite was slow and I ended up snagging and tangling lines and lures more than any other recent trip. To top things off, I broke off one jaw of my nice X-tools floating needlenose pliers while trying to untangle a hook that became imbedded in a piece of rope. (As an aside, the pliers are 1.5 years old -- the warranty is 1 year, so I am out of luck).

One of the few high points was my first fish of the day -- a fat, heavy perch that measured a full 12" on the taped glued to the cockpit of my kayak. I also hooked a small pickerel (my second summer pickerel this year) in a 2 ft deep fully shaded area. It pulled hard and jumped a few times before coming unbuttoned near boatside.

In a previous post, I mentioned seeing a brown object in Weems Creek that I thought was a snapping turtle. As soon as I launched yesterday into College Creek, I clearly saw a big brown snapper watching me for 10 seconds. The turtle soon became bored, and submerged -- not to be seen again.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

thanks for the report, fished this afternoon 3:30-5:30 nada at greenbury point except crabs saw a big CNR doing a mating dance probably scared all other fish away

Comment

Hey ......... your sacrifice to the fish Gods payed off .........

Comment

Working...
      X