6/18/2011 Lynnhaven Inlet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6/18/2011 Lynnhaven Inlet

Got on the water around 9am and fished till 3pm with nothing to show for except for 2 undersized flounders, tons of small croakers eating up my supply of gulp, and a broken rudder pin!

I was on the banks chilling when a boat created some 1 ft+ wakes that slammed the back of my Revo against the bank and broke the pin. Apparently, they are design to give first to prevent damaging the rudder assembly. I would advise you to look into having a spare rudder pin on hand because without it, you are SOL. Good thing I was near the beach launch and limped my way back.

Glad you had some success before your troubles. Good advice about spare parts on hand. Gonna have to look into that for sure. Thanks for posting your experience!

Comment

i'd love to get a chance to fish that area this year.

if i remember correctly from a post on hobies site, and i'm not near my revo to check, but i think under the rear hatch, there is a specific place to clip or store one of those pins and a replacement may be there already
      sigpic

Comment

I may be interested in tagging along for the next trip down... I've never fished the area but I have been really wanting to. I may also try to hit the HRBT while I'm down there at night as well and just sleep in the car.

When I think about how long the drive is though I wonder why I don't just head to CHSP or Jersey for that matter. I hear the flounder fishing in Jersey is awesome too. Maybe we can talk JFF or summersoff to lead a trip up there?
        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

ill go!
          Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

I am sorry to hear about the damages to your yak! Not knowing you well...I almost didnt post this but I could not resist!

Isn't that why they make paddles for a Kayak?

(secretly im jealous)

Jason

Comment

The paddle wasn't the issue. Without the rudder, the Revo would not track well at all. I have paddled the Revo before when I forgot my mirage drive at the bay bridge. It wasn't fun but it's doable. Without the rudder, you are screwed in a fast moving current like it is at Lynnhaven.

I got my parts today and it went in without issues and I have the spare stored in the hatch.

Probably heading back in 2 weeks to practice for the tourny and getting the slam (Specks, Flounder, and Puppy Drum).

Dave

Comment

Working...
              X