6/18/2011 - Solomons Recon Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6/18/2011 - Solomons Recon Trip

Me and a buddy decided to give Solomons a try this week. We made an afternoon / evening run for croakers and what ever else decided to jump on the hook. The Yaks got wet around 3:30 PM and we made a paddle to below the bridge and started some drifts about 200 Yards away from the public pier.

I was using Squid on a single dropper bottom rig and jigging a Gulp jerk shad. My buddy was using two single dropper bottom rigs with squid.We keyed in on the channel edge ranging from 35ft to 20ft. Fishing was really slow with the occasional Toad fish here and there. This would be a forewarning of the days events. We made several long drifts from the public pier past the burned down commercial pier with no signs of croakers. There were occasional lone bluefish around 8" long jumping around us. I marked lots of bait but could not jig any up.

We paddled back to the ramp around 5:30 pm to take a break and buy some blood worms. At 6:00 pm we headed above the bridge to try our luck on the channel edge in that area.

Luis caught a 11" croaker on a blood worm right off the Bat which was a good sign. I stuck with the squid and jig because I'm funny like that and eventually pulled in a nice 13" hard-head. The story of the day was Toad Fish. We must have caught 75 of them between the two of us. Little ones, Big ones, Dark ones and Lite ones.

Around 7:30pm i got a slight tap, tug and a head shake on the jig. No way this might be a flounder i thought. Well it was not a flounder but a hefty you guessed it, Toad Fish.

I caught another dozen or so toad fish on the jig. I did manage one striper around 12" on the jig but every other tug on it was a toad fish. Luis caught several spot and white perch on the bloods and we ended the day keeping 12 nice sized croakers.

We got off the water at 9:00pm when i could not stand taking the ugly, slimy ill mannered pukes off my hook anymore. I'm so sick of toad fish now.

Video Recap
    Solomons Recap Video

thanks for the report. i try not to use squid here, most of the time i end up with toads or CNRs did well with bws and shrimp at claiborne quite a few i wont call them horse but pony croakers a couple 17+

Comment

Thanks for the report. Solomons from shore around where I work has been slow, but I've been seeing big schools of menhaden lately, which bodes well for the striper topwater bite soon. Most of the croaker I caught around Solomons were on Fishbites, and I got some decent sized ones, too. Haven't used squid it the river in a while. Anyway, I haven't fished the river from my yak yet this year.

Next time you go, throw a beetlesping at the docks and riprap between the beach and the bridge. I've caught some nice white perch there and the odd striper.
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Working...
      X