RI (Flounder) Sat 7-11-15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RI (Flounder) Sat 7-11-15

I was on the water at Roosevelt Inlet about 8 am and caught the outgoing tide near slack tide.

Jigged a bucktail and hung live minnows at the inlet, along the channel, along the docks and down the canal. Caught a eggs-laden blue crab and my only fish of the day, a 19" keeper.

When I got the flattie hook-up and started to wind up, the handle on my baitcaster came off. Whoa, I could not reel up the feisty fish! So I reached over to grab the line for hand-to-hand pull-up. As I leaned over, the dangling drag knob went kerplunk in the water. Dang!

Oh well, I still had the handle, and of course, the flounder too.
    Attached Files
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Great job ........... Glad you got a keeper

I went to IRI on Friday boat fishing ......... Caught 1 short and my buddy Lou caught 2 croaker. We both had some big ones on though ......... had 1 that bit thru 17 lb fluoro and he had 1 that just let go ........ A bunch of gulp tails missing and crab fed minnows. Must have been over 100 boats and only saw 2 other fish caught. Said I was going fishing didn't say I was going fishing. Oh ...... Saw Saltydog in the parking lot.

Comment

First time posting, I too had a good time the weather could have been better but that's life. But there is alway another time. But not on Friday or the weekend. This is the second time I went on a friday I should have learned my lesson the first time, The boats were wall to wall as the Blues were in. Have never seen so many inconsiderate boaters flying right up through the boats fishing wide open. I almost fell from the wake they caused. Rick I think it best to go from Monday to Thursday. Well as we spoke about the fact that we saw no one else catching anything. I don't think the fishing is as good with all the boat traffic. Well a bad day fishing is better than a good day working. Lou

Comment

Didn't know the blues are still around in numbers at IRI. I guess that's why all the boats. Where's the best place to launch yaks at IRI?

Comment

Originally posted by ourway77 View Post
          First time posting, I too had a good time the weather could have been better but that's life. But there is alway another time. But not on Friday or the weekend. This is the second time I went on a friday I should have learned my lesson the first time, The boats were wall to wall as the Blues were in. Have never seen so many inconsiderate boaters flying right up through the boats fishing wide open. I almost fell from the wake they caused. Rick I think it best to go from Monday to Thursday. Well as we spoke about the fact that we saw no one else catching anything. I don't think the fishing is as good with all the boat traffic. Well a bad day fishing is better than a good day working. Lou
          Hey Lou ......... Welcome to Snaggedline ......... Bunch of great guys here that love to fish.

Tufnik ..... Sorry I hijacked your thread ....... I'll start another so we can introduce Lou ...... Ourway77

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
            Didn't know the blues are still around in numbers at IRI. I guess that's why all the boats. Where's the best place to launch yaks at IRI?
            Blues will be around IRI and OC inlets all summer and into the fall. Although there are still some decent sized blues caught every week, for the most part the size of the fish is much smaller during the summer. It's mostly snappers and fish in the low 20" range. The huge schools of 30"+ fish are gone.

The reason there is a lot of boats is because it's Indian River in the summer. Fish or no fish that place is busy with boats. I've never launched a kayak into the inlet there and wouldn't suggest trying it unless you're planning to go fish the back bays. In my opinion, you're asking for serious trouble going into the inlet proper.
            Brian

Comment

Oh, small blues, huh?! I thought the big blues were still around. So I guess I'd like to try the back bay areas soon, if I could get those launch points.

Yeah, welcome Lou. I fish DE a lot, so maybe you could show me more hot spots..lol...

Comment

@ Tufnik: You can launch back by the IRI Marina( not marina property) or @ the marina.It's close to the parking area....to the left of the Marina, u still need a DE SP pass to park there. I think u need to carry over riprap... its doable when water is calm.

Comment

"The reason there is a lot of boats is because it's Indian River in the summer. Fish or no fish that place is busy with boats. I've never launched a kayak into the inlet there and wouldn't suggest trying it unless you're planning to go fish the back bays. In my opinion, you're asking for serious trouble going into the inlet proper."

I have to agree with slobber bob. Launched out of the marina last fall and paddled around near the coast guard station. before I knew the current was carrying me out. Had to do some serious paddling to get back into manageable waters. A coast guard guy was watching me and asked if I need help. btw, you can't fish in the marina basin as I was loudly made aware of. Always a BUSY area. Be very careful.
                  2014 Ocean Kayak Trident 13

Comment

I visited the marina a couple of months ago to see about launching at the ramp since I trailer my PA. Apparently they only want Delaware tags using it and the "guard" at the ramp told me it would be $35 for out of state or something to that affect (he was there specifically looking for out of state tags). My intent was to fish the back bays, I couldn't imagine a kayak anywhere near the fleet that sets up around the inlet. Boats coming in from off shore were blasting through the drifting boats at almost full speed with no regard to wake, not to mention the wicked current that rushes through it.
                    Mike
                    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Working...
                    X