Weems Creek Report Friday the 17th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weems Creek Report Friday the 17th

Fished Weems Creek today with J.A. Veil, and Foursteps24 from 7:00 - 12:00. Took Foursteps24 to my favorite cove up creek and let him catch while J.A. Veil and I explored a little. I went all the way up the Creek hitting docks, downed trees, and other structure along the shaded shoreline on both sides with minimal results. John had suggested earlier that we down size our lures since the perch were hitting smaller offerings than the 3" plastic shad we were using on our spinners (THANKS John) I switch to a 2" twistertail and had more hookups. Went back to the cove later where we left Foursteps24 and he had an impressive stringer of 10-11" perch!! I stayed there with him for awhile and had a great time catching and releasing some really nice perch the rest of the morning!

It was Great to finally hookup with you John, enjoy your trip, and give me a shout when you get back,

and congrads to you Jay for fishing with only lures for the first time! I was hoping those perch were still there and thanks to John's advice we slayed em!!

Peace,
    GB

Good report. You guys can't all live in Annapolis, no grief over using their ramp?

Originally posted by Grady-Black View Post
    Fished Weems Creek today with J.A. Veil, and Foursteps24 from 7:00 - 12:00. Took Foursteps24 to my favorite cove up creek and let him catch while J.A. Veil and I explored a little. I went all the way up the Creek hitting docks, downed trees, and other structure along the shaded shoreline on both sides with minimal results. John had suggested earlier that we down size our lures since the perch were hitting smaller offerings than the 3" plastic shad we were using on our spinners (THANKS John) I switch to a 2" twistertail and had more hookups. Went back to the cove later where we left Foursteps24 and he had an impressive stringer of 10-11" perch!! I stayed there with him for awhile and had a great time catching and releasing some really nice perch the rest of the morning!

It was Great to finally hookup with you John, enjoy your trip, and give me a shout when you get back,

and congrads to you Jay for fishing with only lures for the first time! I was hoping those perch were still there and thanks to John's advice we slayed em!!

Peace,
    GB

Comment

Nah, I'm in Bowie Capt. No grief so far (3 years now), respect for other peoples property and common sense seem to still go along way sometime.

How have you been ole Guy?

GB

Comment

Mike -

It was a pleasure to paddle and fish with you and Jay. The water was extremely high when we launched -- I have never seen it that high in Weems before.
        Many of the lower docks were under water. I think the fish were confused too, because they were not biting the same lures that usually work in those areas.

After throwing 10 casts into a fishy-looking area using a spinner arm and 3" minnow with a few bumps but no bites, I switched rods and threw one of Woody's glow-spin lures. It was shorter and lighter. To my surprise, I caught perch on 5 of the next 7 casts in the same area. That was pretty compelling evidence that today's prey search image was smaller than usual. I continued catching well on that lure until I snagged it and lost it. I did not have anything else with me in a comparable size, so my catching dropped off after that.

I look forward to fishing with you guys again.
        Attached Files
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Been fine and some day I might even get to go fishing. I got to go more before I retired.

Comment

Yes John, lower profile was the ticket today, Woody's Jig feathers thin out nicely when wet! I've had problems with my homemade jigs and bucktails flairing at the end!

I almost forgot about the high water level! I was SHOCKED when I got there!

Capt. anytime you want to come up this way and fish, give me a shout!

Comment

looks like you guys had another nice day while i had to work full moon brings higher tides

Comment

Wished you were there!
                It was fun..
                GB

Comment

Awesome report, gents. The downsizing is interesting. I've been seeing lots of little 1-2" silversides around Solomons lately, more so than in previous years. I wonder if that's what the perch are hitting?
                  Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                  Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Thanks for the report. I stuck with 2" twister tails on home made spinner rigs (basically beetle spins) last year and adjusted the spinner blade size to create a larger profile. I don't think my approach mattered though because i was lucky enough to find non finicky fish. I'm getting that perch itch again. I might have to hit the docks at the rhode river to bail some.

Comment

Wow...that water was REALLY high!
                      <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
                        Awesome report, gents. The downsizing is interesting. I've been seeing lots of little 1-2" silversides around Solomons lately, more so than in previous years. I wonder if that's what the perch are hitting?
                        The Severn area is loaded with small, slender minnows (maybe silversides). I have also seen schools of 1" to 2" menhaden rippling the surface. There is plenty of bait at the surface. Whether the same bait swims lower in the water column or whether the perch rise to the surface to feed are different questions. For nearly all the perch I hook, the lure is in mid-water depth (2-8' total depth).
                        John Veil
                        Annapolis
                        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
                        X