Two new species from the kayak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two new species from the kayak

I am Tampa for a few days fishing with my friend, guide Neil Taylor of Strike Three Kayak Fishing. I caught a new-to-me species on both trips so far.

Yesterday we spent 3.5 hours jigging light lures around bridge pilings with little to show for it. My only catch of the day was a small (but sharp-looking) spadefish.

001.jpg

Today we spent several hours casting to depressions in shallow grass flats. We launched at sunrise after watching a light show in the clouds on the drive down. Neil's radar showed that the storm clouds were not close and were not moving in our direction.

001.jpg 002.jpg

After 15 minutes of paddling we anchored up on the edge of a 4-6 ft hole. I started casting a 1/8-oz jighead with a 12 Fathom Slam-R plastic lure and quickly caught a dozen speckled trout. That was lots of fun. Then I hooked an aerobatic ladyfish. Shortly after that I hooked up with the strongest fish I have caught to date from my kayak. The fish hit and immediately ran, stripping out line for a long time. I tried getting back some line, but the fish was relentless. Neil initially thought I had a large spec, but as it kept powering along, he revised his guess to a large snook. Both of those guesses were wrong. After nearly 15 mins of fighting the fish, we got a 38" black tip shark to the boat. It was caught on the same small lure as the trout and the ladyfish. I was using a 7-ft medium rod spooled with 10-lb braid.

IMAG0002.jpg IMAG0010.jpg

Needless to say, I was pretty excited. After some photos, the fish was placed in the cooler. I am having dinner at Neil's house -- trout fish spread and black tip shark steaks and probably a few beers.

004.jpg 005.jpg

As the sun climbed higher, the bite slowed down. I caught one more spec on the flats. About 10:00, we began drifting along the boat channel jigging the same small lures we used the previous day at the bridge. This proved to be fast action on small fish (silver trout, ladyfish, grunts, pinfish) for a while. By 11:00, the bite had stopped so we called it quits early.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

well done! thanks for the report and pics haave you ever fished the ft lauderdale-miami area?
    sigpic

Comment

I never kayak fished there. I used to go more often to the east coast before I started into kayak fishing. About 15 years ago I hired an inshore guide in Ft Lauderdale. We only fished 2 hours before a thunderstorm ended the trip. I have used the head boats at the inlet at the north end of Miami Beach and at several other inlets.
      John Veil
      Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

John,

Way to go!

That Slam-R is quite versatile. Now a shark is added to the list.

I got stripers in the Bay here with it earlier this year and specs and ladyfish with it in Tampa in April.

Congratulations on a great day.
        Last edited by Mark; 06-17-2015, 08:10 PM.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

We had the shark for lunch on the following day. The fish had been kept on ice, but not gutted for 24 hours. For many species of shark, this leads to strong ammonia flavors in the flesh. However, the black tip was very mild and had firm white meat -- it had no fishy or ammonia flavor. The guide's friend filleted the shark along with some silver trout and mangrove snapper we caught on Thurs morning. He soaked the shark meat in buttermilk for about an hour before cooking it. He cooked all three species by pan frying with a secret light breading. He cooked some of the shark by searing it in a hot pan with butter. All the fish was excellent. The texture and flavor of the shark reminded me of tender pork chops.

20150618_135317.jpg 20150618_135322.jpg 20150618_135348.jpg

The first two photos show the pan-seared shark. The third shows the pan fried shark (left) and snapper (right).
          John Veil
          Annapolis

Comment

How come it is only 10:30m a.m., I've had breakfast but already I'm hungry?

Look really good.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Nice going John, I have heard that black tips make excellent table fare. The season up here is closed until July 15th, and then the min.will be 54". I caught one a couple of years ago in the kayak, and it was definitely keeper size, but I was not prepared to safely land it. I agree that they are impressive fighters! Fast long runs, and they will fully recover their energy with the slightest rest.

Comment

Nice job there John. Always nice to see what you have caught.

Outback 2015
                Maui

Comment

I love blacktop steaks on the grill with lemon butter- really mild flavor- not all sharks are the same, but black tips are delicious
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Those are some great photos of you and the shark John.

Comment

This was a report from my Tampa trip in June. I have another trip scheduled for mid-Sept. Hopefully I will find some interesting fish during that trip too.
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis

Comment

Great report John, glad you had some success. Sounds like the shark pulls like CNR do here.
                        John Rentch
                        Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
                        Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Working...
                        X