Well over 100 fish day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well over 100 fish day

We fished a pond I've known about for 30 years. It started off as a mud bog people would constantly get their trucks stuck in. As the years have gone by there is no such thing as 4 wheeling around here any more so this pond has progressed into a natural state over the years. This pond is about a total of 10 acres and is maybe 5' deep at it's deepest part.

If you didn't know it was there you would never even see it as there is no visible water from any vantage point. Down the end of that two track is the pond. You can't even tell there is a pond there from this vantage point that is from a hill elevated about 50' higher then the pond.

Even when you go through the trees there is only one spot you can even see the water on foot. There is a 4' wide break in the reeds where you can launch your kayak.

This is the smaller half of the pond. The pond is broken down into two pools. This pool is bout 1-2 acres.

What is so interesting about this pond is the fish that inhabit it. We fished it for the first time last year and I doubt it gets fished by anyone more then 6 times a year. The only fish I see in this pond are bass, I've never seen any other species of fish in the water here. They are hungry and more aggressive than any other freshwater fish I've encountered. These bass would give a school of frenzied bluefish a run for their money on their aggression. Saturday was the second time I've fished this pond and just as the previous visit, individually we caught over 100 fish a piece in a couple hours.

There is one caveat to this pond, all the fish are 4"-8".

This pond would be the best trip ever for a young child. You literally catch a fish 7 out of 10 casts and get a bite or several 9 of 10 casts. The fish will literally fight for your lure. If you try to hook one and miss and the lure comes out of the water there is a 50/50 chance that another fish will grab it as soon as it lands in the water again. My first fish yesterday was as I tied on my lure for the first time and tossed it in by hand to get rid of the slack, there was already a fish on by the time I picked up the rod. If I didn't experience this pond first hand I would never believe it.

Here's a vid I took with my buddy pulling in several fish on consecutive casts.

Last edited by willf650; 06-15-2015, 01:36 PM. Reason: spelling
    1980 Something Old Town Canoe
    2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
    2015 Coosa HD
    2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
    2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

wow . i would say that pond has reached its maximum carrying capacity .
    2016 Hobie Outback
    2014 Jackson Kilroy

Comment

Well over 100 fish day

This is what it's like. I put my phone underwater and took this next to my kayak. As soon as I drop my worm in there are two little bass chasing it. One grabs it and it pops out of its mouth and as soon as it hits the water again there are five of them in frame going after it.

I doubt there are any larger bass in this pond. The biggest we've pulled out to date is two that were maybe 12". The 12" fish came on two different trips. Even if there were larger fish you couldn't keep the little ones off the hook long enough to give a larger one a chance.

If you would like to know the location of this pond to take your kid, send me a message. This pond could be the best trip ever for a young child.
      Last edited by willf650; 06-15-2015, 09:15 AM.
      1980 Something Old Town Canoe
      2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
      2015 Coosa HD
      2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
      2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

Comment

Interesting report. Thank you.

You've watched the pond develop. That's neat.

It's amazing how bass find their way into ponds like this, perhaps from birds or human help.

You'll know for sure its location has been compromised when you catch your first snakehead there!
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
        X