New to the area and looking for advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the area and looking for advice

The family and I are coming down to vacation June 27 - July 4 and I was going to bring my kayak along (CoosaHD). I haven't had a kayak out fishing near the shore before and was looking for some advice. From what I've read, I may try Cape Henlopen near the pier and/or Savages Ditch. I could use some advice on best times to go out (high tide, I assume) and what fish to target. Most of my gear/tackle is set up for bass, 8 - 12lb mono. Will that be OK or should I switch over to something heavier or braid? Is there anything specific I should watch out for/be concerned about (Current, wind, boats)?

Let me start.

Tide Info
    use http://www.saltwatertides.com/dynami...sites.html#bay
    Select Delaware Bay, western shore
    Select •Lewes, Breakwater Harbor

Based on "Progressive Wave Model":
    High tide - The fastest incoming current
    Slack - between High and low tide
    Low Tide - The fastest outgoing current.

* note 1: avoid launch and beaching during the low tide
    * note 2: safe place unless very strong (E 20 MPH wind)
    * Note 3: Bring a Kayak Cart
    * Note 4: search "CHSP" on the title, posted by ComeOnFish during 2012-2015. This will give you some good idea around the area.

Species:
    Flounder
    spot
    small croaker
    dogfish
    small bluefish
    triggerfish
    tautog (C&R)
    toadfish
    striper (rare)

You may see seals and dolphins from the Inner Wall.

Let's start from here.
    We can discuss the choice of tackles, baits, lures, and tactics later.

Joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Thanks for the info. Why do you avoid launching and beaching during the low tide?

I have a Kayak Cart on order. Would an anchor be recommended? If so what type? I do have a drag chain I rarely use but not an anchor. I fish rivers here mostly so anchoring in the swift water is usually out of the question. I'll check out your postings.

Comment

Time2 fish,
        During low tide, you additionally, need to walk your kayak in very shallow water or drag the kayak on the wet sand and mud to launch or beach. From the parking lot toward the pier, Left side path is better than the right side of pier. Shorter sandy path and water is deeper on the left side of the pier.

You may use anchor around the pier, but I don't recommend using anchor at the wall. There is a good chance you can't recover your anchor in the rocky area.
        I don't think you need the anchor chain. I don't know type of your anchor. A 3lb grappling anchor sometimes fails when the current is very strong. A 5 LB grappling anchor works all the time. BTW the water is less than 15' deep around the pier.

Around the ruined pier area, there are many stuff under the water that will snag your rig and lures. The vertical pilings are not the only ones under the water. There are supporting beams on the lower part of the vertical pilings, and broken pilings.

Well, are you going to cook and eat the fish? I mean any fish? Long time ago, when I camped with my two boys, we ate spot and croaker we caught at the camp sites. We pan-fried them and they were very good. If I camp now, I will fillet spot and croaker and make fish tacos.

Joe
        Fish like there's no tomorrow.
        Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Gotcha, Looking at the tides I will probably go our around sunrise one or two of the days through the week and take out sometime between the high and low tides. That should probably give me a few hours before I have to get back to the family Not sure about keeping fish, I usually just catch and release but if I can get into some spot and croaker I may. The kids would probably really like that.

I'm going to bring some spinning tackle and my fly rod and tie up a handful of clousers and deceivers. I see a lot of people commenting that gulp is a good bait. Any recommendations on what type of gulp?

Comment

Originally posted by time2fish View Post
            Gotcha, Looking at the tides I will probably go our around sunrise one or two of the days through the week and take out sometime between the high and low tides. That should probably give me a few hours before I have to get back to the family Not sure about keeping fish, I usually just catch and release but if I can get into some spot and croaker I may. The kids would probably really like that.

I'm going to bring some spinning tackle and my fly rod and tie up a handful of clousers and deceivers. I see a lot of people commenting that gulp is a good bait. Any recommendations on what type of gulp?
            4" swimming mullet work great for flounder.
            Golden Papaya Outback

Comment

Originally posted by MD Dore View Post
              4" swimming mullet work great for flounder.
              Thanks, any particular color? Chartreuse seems to be popular.

Comment

White, pink, and chartreuse all seem to work. You might try different colors until you see what is working that particular day.
                Golden Papaya Outback

Comment

Alright, so I've got some assorted colors of gulp swimming mullet and some 1oz bucktail jigs and tied up some 20lb mono leaders. I'm running 15 lb braid on my rods.

Going to hit up CHSP a couple days sometime between next Monday and Thursday in the AM as long as the weather forecast holds (not too windy, low chances of storms). I'll probably head out around 6am before the high tide and get out around noon before low tide.

Good plan? Any other suggestions. Thanks everyone for the info.

Comment

Sounds like a good plan to me! That whole area can hold fish. The pier itself, the flats on either side, the deeper water near herring point, either side of the inner wall. Just stick to your game plan and jig away.
                    Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Time2fish, I'll be down around the same time, Hope to see you out there. I'm a beginner there as well. Perhaps we can meet up before we leave shore.

And to Comeonfish... is that a spear in your prof pic? I've been looking for a dive buddy if you'd like to take a trip out next week. I'm sort of a new spearo but I'm looking forward to getting out again. Let me know if you're interested. Thinking about taking out the yak to the outer wall. Who knows! maybe the water will be clear enough to jump in!

Comment

Originally posted by OnwardState View Post
                        Time2fish, I'll be down around the same time, Hope to see you out there. I'm a beginner there as well. Perhaps we can meet up before we leave shore.

And to Comeonfish... is that a spear in your prof pic? I've been looking for a dive buddy if you'd like to take a trip out next week. I'm sort of a new spearo but I'm looking forward to getting out again. Let me know if you're interested. Thinking about taking out the yak to the outer wall. Who knows! maybe the water will be clear enough to jump in!
                        Absolutely interested in meeting up if you are there, OnwardState! I have a Jackson Coosa HD, Sexy Shad color (blue/yellow/white), Maroon Town and Country w/ Ohio plates.

One questions for everyone else. The website says CHSP hours are 7am - 10pm. Do you know if there is any restriction/gates that prevent you from entering before? I was hoping to get out a little earlier.

Comment

You can get there whenever there will be a pay box on your left next to the guard shack. Take a green envelope, write down your plate # and info, put $10 inside, rip off the stub, put it on your dash and drive on in. Just don''t try to sleep there or they'll kick you out
                          Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

There are no restrictions that prevent you from getting to the pier where most people launch prior to 7am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            1980 Something Old Town Canoe
                            2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
                            2015 Coosa HD
                            2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
                            2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

Comment

Perfect! Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                              X