Electrifying a Prowler Trident 13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrifying a Prowler Trident 13

I've had quite a few inquires about this, so here are the details.

I did the installation summer of last year, and it has been working great. About $200, and no holes drilled in the kayak.

Parts/Material
    - Minn Kota Endura 30 motor (30# thrust, 30" shaft. I heard this is among the most efficient motors on the market. It has a C2 designation now. Regularly cost $110, but I had a Dick's discount coupon)
    - Minn Kota motor circuit breaker (optional, but I chose to have it to protect the motor. Cost $40)
    - Costco Kirtland Marine battery (group size 24, 85 amp-hour, weighs 50 pounds, Cost $60)
    - Sturdy crate (I already had this, and I don't know what it costs now. Don't use those cheap flimsy crates)
    - Turnbuckles (You need four, preferable the open end ones. Cost $1-2 each at Home Depot)
    - Misc hardware (loop screws, nuts, bolts, washers, wood screws)
    - Two feet of 2 X 4 lumber
    - 1/4 " plywood (about a 8" X 4" piece), and four other smaller pine/plywood pieces
    - Outdoor spar urethane (optional, but I chose to finish the wood for protection)

I already had some parts/material, so it cost me about $200 to add the system.

Building the crate
    - Decide if you want a left or right side motor mount
    - Use a sturdy crate. There will be some flex when the motor is attached to the 2x4 support arm and when the motor is initially turned on to full throttle.
    - Cut four (approx 2"X5") wood pieces to sandwich the sides of the crate. See pics. Two pieces per side. This is your crate bracing where the loop screws are attached for connection to the turnbuckles.
    - Attach 2 foot long 2X4 support arm to crate. I used the 2x4 and approx 8"X4" plywood to sandwich the front of the crate. I flush mounted the screws. I positioned the 2X4 support arm such that it lay flat on the kayak. You'll have to check to make sure, when you mount the motor on the arm, the prop doesn't hit the hull when you rotate the motor for steering.
    - Add wood pacers to bottom of crate. Since the crate doesn't fit perfectly in the cargo well, spacers are needed to prevent the crate from shifting. I attached/screwed a 1/2" X 1 " hardwood piece to the front bottom of the crate. See pic. Length depends on inside width of well. I didn't need one, but you might want a spacer toward the rear of crate too. Let me know if you can't picture this, and I'll send pics.
    - Optional: Finish all wood with urethane

Installing crate and motor
    - Mount crate. Locate kayak lugs. Attach turnbuckles. You'll have to determine the number of links needed to insure proper tightening of turnbuckles. Hand tighten only! You don't need to wrench it down to get the whole crate (with motor mounted) secure. And you don't want to rip out the kayak lugs.
    - Mount motor. Of course, prepare the terminals first.

Power
    - Battery fits nicely into the well, and it's spaced about an inch from the front of the crate. I think a larger 100+ amp hour will also fit. Note: It's this approximately 1 inch plastic space (part of the kayak) where the support arm rests.
    - I use the blue rubber bath mat to cushion the battery, prevent it from shifting around, and provide some level of cover when flipped over the battery top.
    - You can see the black circuit breaker on the top of the battery in the pic.

The motor handle extends out about 6-8 inches. It does not get in the way when I paddle. Five forward speeds, and three reverse speeds.

When I need to, I paddle with the motor on to conserve battery energy. I'm on the water 4-7 hours and I never ran out of power. It allows me to fish without paddling, troll at steadier speeds, have greater range, and have greater speed. I'm not as exhausted at the end of the trip too. The most I've used was 75% of the 85 amp-hour battery.

For other than Trident kayaks, you can do the same thing. If your existing lugs on the kayak are not in the right places, you'll have to drill holes in the kayak to support the crate.

Good luck! And see you on the water.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tufnik; 06-15-2011, 02:37 PM.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Crate for Trident 13

More pics.
    Attached Files

Comment

That's nice work, tufnik! Excellent do-it-yourself improvisation! I can see an electric in my future but a few more years yet of peddling and paddling!

Comment

Great write up! I am spec'ing out my motor now. I think I might go with a bigger motor since I'm not nearly as trim as you!!! LOL It won't be my main power of my yak... I still want the workout of paddling, but it will help on those long a$$ paddles where it seems that my arms are gonna fall off! LOL

Comment

Bigger motor means more power suck and less duration. Some people use two batteries. Or you can go to a single 100+ amp-hour battery. Ugh, those things are heavy.

What are the specs on Metro Man's system? Battery capacity and weight as well as motor thrust.

Comment

That's awesome! I may try to design something that would be kayak neutral like that, it would be nice to move the crate around.

That may be a winter time purchase coming up... would be awesome for striper fishing in Smith Mountain lake or just about anywhere...
            Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
            Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
            https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
              Bigger motor means more power suck and less duration. Some people use two batteries. Or you can go to a single 100+ amp-hour battery. Ugh, those things are heavy.

What are the specs on Metro Man's system? Battery capacity and weight as well as motor thrust.
              I'm not sure on the battery he went with, but the motor is 36# thrust and the motor itself weighs 15#. I'm not trying to go all crazy... maybe a 40# thrust if I can find one at a decent weight. I know I'm gonna have to shorten the shaft though...

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                That's awesome! I may try to design something that would be kayak neutral like that, it would be nice to move the crate around.

That may be a winter time purchase coming up... would be awesome for striper fishing in Smith Mountain lake or just about anywhere...
                Yea..this looks like a kick a$$ system..def need to look into this...thank you for posting this. Looking at everyone's yaks..mine is so bareboned right now. The only cool feature I have are my outriggers lol....soon I will be getting some toys...gotta let the funds grow

Comment

and they say a mirage drive is the darkside....lol.
                  Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Originally posted by Pinch View Post
                    and they say a mirage drive is the darkside....lol.
                    Ha! So true...

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
                      36# Minn Kota motor. Battery is a Cabelas AGM 178 min reserve capacity (85aH). I also have an Exide NG 24 lead acid battery, 80ah.
                      <insert witty comment here>

Comment

MM,

My Kirtland battery weighs 51 pounds. What does your Cabelas AGM and Exide batts weigh?

Comment

The Cabelas is 53lbs I think, and the Exide is just about the same, close to 50lbs. I got the AGM because it was on sale, AND the AGM would be better at handling a full discharge. (and I dont have to worry about leaks or anything)

Comment

If your going to do it, do it right, go big. Use a 105 ah, group 31 battery. It will fit in the compartment just behind the seat. I carry two group 31 batteries in my Big Game Prowler, along with me. They are no maintainance AGM batteries. Combined with me that is quite a load. I have installed a battery selector switch and can go all day trolling. I have one battery in the front compartment and one behind the seat.

My first electric kayak was a 15' Trident with a milk crate rig. I used starboard fitted to the inside-top edge of a sturdy mild crate. I drilled it to match it up with a canoe motor mount, made by Old Town. I also attached the crate with turn buckles. The mount had bolts with handles on them for easy attachment. I think the rig is still in the garage. I will post some photos. However, when all is said, I later went to an Island Hopper rig, which slips into the rod holders behind the seat. With those two rigs, I used a battery just behind the seat, group 31. I later went to two batteries. I would lock the motor in the straight ahead position and steer with the rudder. I was using a 30lb thrust MinnKota Endura on the side mounts. Then when I was sure that I liked the electric, I got the Bass Yak setup.

Electric motors may be said to be the dark side, but hey they are the way to go for trolling. As I said, with two batteries, I can troll all day with a 55lb thrust motor. I would be careful with larger motors on the side of a kayak. However, with the Island Hopper setup, you can put a counter weight on the other side. As I said, the Island Hopper rig is fast easy and a good setup. It will leave your crate free and clear for rod holders and storage.

So far my best day trolling from a kayak was 23 stripers, with no undersize fish. The largest fish that day was 27". I caught them all within a 200 yard area. The weather was bad and all the other boats went in. That is when the fish started to bite. The rain subsided to a cold drizzle. It was a typical striper day. It was a good day to be fishing. I typically have 10, 12 and 15 fish days. I of course, like everyone else, have my bad days. Trolling helps you cover alot of water to find the fish. Sometimes I will stop, once I find the fish and usually bucktail, cast spoons or cranks. However, I usually keep trolling. I like my hands free, so I can drink a beer. Another productive way to fish from a kayak is chumming, but that is a story for another day. Although it is about the time of year for that sort of thing.

Dogfish

Comment

Group 31s weight about what, 75lbs each?

I thought about doing the second battery setup now that I have two batteries. One of these days perhaps...

Comment

Working...
                              X