Father's Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Father's Day

I am considering an intel trip for the "dreaded frankenfish" out of Slavins ramp on Father's Day- launch early fish the outgoing tide and be home before dark-
    Been reading up on the species, talking to local anglers- "the" top lure- Live Target- Koppers Frog La grenouille- nearly impossible to find in local tackle shops- seems to have developed a premium price tag, too- naturally it is Made in China- what's surprising about that? Chinese fish eats chinese lure...

Anyone one interested in joining up for a small flotilla of kayakers?
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

That frog gets crazy good reviews. I was thinking about picking one up for the M&G despite the price tag.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
      That frog gets crazy good reviews. I was thinking about picking one up for the M&G despite the price tag.
      I found two and naturally bought both-

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
        I found two and naturally bought both-
        Tacklewarehouse has 'em! http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Koppe...e-KLTHBFG.html

Ron, What time you headed over there?

Comment

I wanted to fish the falling tide- looking at the tides-high is at 10:52 am- low is 5:09 pm--figure to get there at 11 am, takes a few minutes to unload and get the kayak wet- tide should start moving out sometime around 1 pm- I wanted to be sitting in the water sometime around noon, but I am flexible- the creek should hold good numbers of fish and at high tide sould be productive and fun- I haven't fished for these fish before, but reading about them- it is basically the same as largemouth bass or smallmouth- if you can catch Bass you should be anble to get a snakehead- I am not carry much tackle or "stuff" on this trip- basic kayak- no fish finder no Scotty multi mount- clean cockpit for casting, small tackle baq with basic lures- one casting outfit (abu 4600C3 with 20# braid, 6 foot medium action rod) and one ultra light 4# test spinning outfit-
          Last edited by ronaultmtd; 06-14-2011, 10:51 AM.

Comment

I'm going out early on Father's Day as well. Planning on fishing the Eastern Branch (head waters of the Anacostia River) for catfish. Launching from Bladensburg Waterfront Marina.
            <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Originally posted by jffoley View Post
              Tacklewarehouse has 'em! http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Koppe...e-KLTHBFG.html

Ron, What time you headed over there?
              Hey ....... thanks for the tip ....... ordered 3 ......... hope I can make it .......

Oh ........ and they have a great sale on some of the Sebile Magic Swimmers ........ usually $17.99 ........ now $10.99 on certain colors ........
              Last edited by Memory Maker; 06-14-2011, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
                I'm going out early on Father's Day as well. Planning on fishing the Eastern Branch (head waters of the Anacostia River) for catfish. Launching from Bladensburg Waterfront Marina.
                Cut herring or Menhaden should be the ticket for the big channel and blues- 30 inches for Channel for a MD citation and 40 for the blues- good luck- Metro

Comment

Is 50# mono leader on that frog good enough? Or steel wire?
                  2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                  2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                  2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

im going to use strike king ragetail frogs. cant spend 10 on something i'll probably lose in a tree anyway

Comment

And how do I get to Slavins? I looked for Indian Head municipal boat launch and couldn't find that too.
                      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

I think this is the launch location.....

SLAVIN'S RAMP
                        Slavin's Ramp is a private facility open to the public with a launch fee of $5.00. Owned and operated by Dick Slavin, a no-nonsense sort who keeps a very orderly ramp area and will direct parking the way he wants it done or else! At eighty-something he is loved for the way he watches over his customers.

The single ramp is in the center of what the state biologists call, "The best bass hatchery Maryland has to offer." A wonderful winding creek with a protected no-wake area some 6 miles long. This quiet area is perfect for small boaters.

To reach Slavin's take Indian Head Highway (Rt. 210) to the end of the road, about 18 miles from the Washington Beltway. Turn left on Mattingley Avenue to the ramp.

Comment

Problem with heavy mono and wire is visibility- no problem in salt water but fresh water is way different- snakeheads can see very well- fifty pound test mono can be bitten through if they get their teeth on it- according to locals who have caught snakeheads I spoke to say the secret is don't let them swallow the bait- as soon as they strike, set the hook- no delay-same thing on soft baits don't drop the rod and count to five like you might with a bass- when you feel the bite- hit em! You might miss a bass or two doing this but you might get a snakehead without it getting the line- figure to lose a lure or two before the day is out-

Mattingly park and boat ramp (used to be Slavins) is at the end of Route 210 (Indian Head Highway) right before you enter the Navy Base- take Mattingly road- at the end of the road is the ramp- $5.00 fee (honor system with box for the money at ramp) ramp is now maintained by the town of Indian Head.
                          Last edited by ronaultmtd; 06-14-2011, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Yep, last left you can make going south on Rt 210. Here's the map Josh posted in the July M&G thread. Zoom out to find Rt 210:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...02411&t=h&z=19

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                              Problem with heavy mono and wire is visibility- no problem in salt water but fresh water is way different- snakeheads can see very well- fifty pound test mono can be bitten through if they get their teeth on it- according to locals who have caught snakeheads I spoke to say the secret is don't let them swallow the bait- as soon as they strike, set the hook- no delay-same thing on soft baits don't drop the rod and count to five like you might with a bass- when you feel the bite- hit em! You might miss a bass or two doing this but you might get a snakehead without it getting the line- figure to lose a lure or two before the day is out-

Mattingly park and boat ramp (used to be Slavins) is at the end of Route 210 (Indian Head Highway) right before you enter the Navy Base- take Mattingly road- at the end of the road is the ramp- $5.00 fee (honor system with box for the money at ramp) ramp is now maintained by the town of Indian Head.
                              Been a few years since I've been ther but I remember the water being like coffee .......... you could use shoelaces and they wouldn't see it .......

Comment

Working...
                              X