DC Potomac 6/13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC Potomac 6/13

Went out this evening into a strong wind. Mainly focused on exercise, but trolled rapalas up to Haynes point then 14th st bridge. When I got up to the bridge still didn't have a bite so switched to a bottom bouncer with a worm harness with a gulp leech. When I approached the bridge had a big strike and fought for a while. Turned out to be a monster blue catfish. I didn't want to damage the old fish for pic so pics are not that great and then released the fish back. I am still amazed at the bulk of these fish. Estimate is over 30 pounds and over 36 inches in length. On the way back to the marina had a nice strike on a fire tiger rapala and it was a nice 18 inch striper. Missed one more that was peeling out line. Overall was a great night to paddle and the fish made it exciting.
    Attached Files

Wow that's a big catfish... I'm used to catching 2-3lb bullheads and even those put up a good fight.
    2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Nice fish! That is awesome on a kayak. Congrats! There are some really big blue catfish in the Potomac now. I have fished with Capt Mike Starrett of Indian Head Charters and have landed a couple over 50lbs!

Comment

Ede that's a big catfish for the kayak! Looks like you had a nice day out there again. Did you keep the rock? I need to figure out where you're launching bc hanes and the wc seem like a great place for the kayak, esp in the fall when the rock school up more. Looking forward to getting out there with you sometime. Maybe next week?
        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Awesome work. That first pic of the cat makes it look like a weird sea monster. That's a nice way to get some exercise.
          Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Last evening TV-4 (NBC) weatherman at 6 pm had a picture in the background of three kayakers fishing on the Potomac- may have been you-
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

^ I must've been watchign at the same time. The guy talked about the yakkers and mentioned them having fishing rods. I said to my wife "I wonder if I know them?"

She replied with the "" look "you think you know everybody"
              <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Redfish 12, I am in for next week and I did keep the rock. Looked healthy so will give it a shot. Going to make a fish dish tonight. I asked about boaters safety the other day. It is a requirement but a va or md class will work. When I asked how do you deal with rentals they said they should have but I got the feeling they don't ask kayakers for it much. I ended up doing the online course just in case. I am really getting into the stripers on light tackle fun to get them on the troll and have line peel out like big palegics. As for put in I haven't explored many places, but I put in at Bolling afb marina. I think there are a few that circle Reagan that should work. Hit me up if you want to go next week, I have noticed the bite pick up as it gets closer to sunset.

Comment

That's good to hear, I have a VA one. I can get on the base I believe so maybe I can launch there too. The paddle from Gravely has always seemed too long to be worth it. I'm up for a trip for next week! I'll bring some cranks to troll, how deep are yours going?
                  Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                  Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                  https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Had a lot of luck with the hot and fire tiger tiger color paterns, and also blue and silver red fin deep diving. Think they run between 8 and 10 feet. Want to try more gulp techniques this week will tell you how it goes.

Comment

Nice fish. There have been a couple of guys fishing at I think it is Bennett Point, near DC. They have been catching those large catfish on a regular basis. They have been comming into the store to buy frozen spot to use as cut bait. They are catching them from shore.

Comment

Working...
                      X