Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Make sure you guys go out WELL LIT at night.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make sure you guys go out WELL LIT at night.

Saw a boat almost hit a Kayak near Severn early in the morning. Not sure if it's one of you guys but I could not see anything but tiny chem lights on the kayaker's fishing rods. He was barely visible from about 100 feet away...

last week when i went out, i noticed how i should probably have a larger stern light, maybe one that lights up the entire boat.. a waterproof mag might even be better so you can point it at the sailor. watching grilled sardine, who has the same light i do, it seemed like the boat looked to be farther away then he was bc how close the light is tot he water on a kayak
    sigpic

Comment

this winter im going to put flush mount lights around the kayak with an off/on switch. ive wanting to this for a while.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st..._SearchResults
      Hobie Revolution 13
      Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

That's pretty good... Man, my craftsmanship is hurtin..... Idon't know if I can seal it right ... LOL.

Comment

i took one of those scotty lights an cut it in half then got a piece of 3/4 pvc conduit and made a 4' extension to lift the light up above me a little more. Scotty stern lights are CG approved.

Comment

this is a really bright light that you can get from target. just stick it on a pvc pipe.

sigpic

Comment

have one of those, keep it up front with me so i can see what i'm doing, works great

Comment

^do you have it mounted?
                sigpic

Comment

Before it went out of business, Boaters World had a battery powered (a few AA's) white light mounted on a 3' metal pole. I slipped that pole into 3/4" peice of PVC - drilled a couple of holes that lined up with the holes in the metal pole and used a cotter pin to secure it. I then slid the 3/4" peice of PVC into a bigger peice (maybe 1.5") of PVC via a reducer (glued. And that whole contraption would slide easily into a rod holder mounted on my kayak milk crate. It allows me to raise and lower the light via the cotter pin and it also keeps it locked in place (should I dump).

And figuring I can't have too much "unused" space, I added a nice kayak flag to my light pole so I could kill two birds with one stone. It sits about 5' off the frame of the boat (a couple feet over my head).

The whole setup comes off the boat simply by pulling the pin as sometimes I don't take it out (floating around the dock, etc where light/flag isn't needed).

Comment

Originally posted by stupidjet View Post
                    this is a really bright light that you can get from target. just stick it on a pvc pipe.

Man, I cannot find this anywhere? Anyone have a link? Tried to Bing/Google it...

Comment

Working...
                    X