Homemade Livewell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade Livewell

Here are some pics of a homemade livewell I made. Cooler was $12 at Walmart and all the other accessories cost around $30.
    Attached Files
    Hobie Revolution 13
    Hobie Fishing Team

more pics
    Attached Files
    Hobie Revolution 13
    Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

How much are livewells usually? Like a decent one?

Comment

Originally posted by featherpop View Post
        How much are livewells usually? Like a decent one?
        I think the Hobie live wells are like $250.
        Hobie Revolution 13
        Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

How well does this work? I'm looking to make something for the summer to hold spot and pinfish in.
          Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
          Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
          https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

That is brilliant! Nice work...

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
              How well does this work? I'm looking to make something for the summer to hold spot and pinfish in.

it works good for spot. i used this setup for 2yrs. the only problem is that its kinda small so if you have to many fish in there they start dying. this year im gonna buy the hobie livewell.
              Hobie Revolution 13
              Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Wow that is a big upgrade! I'm going to try to make something similar to what you have first and see how much use I get out of it. Thanks for the detailed plans!

Comment

they sell the same pump that is used in the hobie livewells for lke 15 bux at walmart. get that, a cooler that fits in behind you and some rubber tubing and you can make a livewell the circulates water, either fromt he side of the kayak or through the scopper holes
                  sigpic

Comment

That was the plan I was going to go with, cooler + bilge pump + tubing = livewell. Do spot need a circular tank? I know certain species of fish die a lot easier in square tanks (shad), but I don't think that will matter for mud minnows, spot, or pinfish right?

I am considering trying to come up with some sort of kayatank to fit in the rod pod, but I'm not sure I want to give up that access. I'll probably just put it in the tankwell.

Comment

i dont think it matters if its circular or not. ive been using square coolers and they manage to stay alive.
                      Hobie Revolution 13
                      Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

remember 1 gallon of water weighs 8.8 lbs so a 10 gal. tank is 88 lbs plus the weight of the tank and pump. i'll keep useing my old minnow bucket.

i was talking with Atlantaking and he is making one out of a pet food container that has a water tight lid and could hold 8 gallons. like to see that when its done.

Comment

quick question about hooking up the pump to the battery

is the fuse holder necessary? can i hook it straight from the pump to the battery holder? that's how i have set up for my fish finder, fish finder to battery holder. or does it have to be pump to fuse holder to battery holder?

Comment

I think it's better to use a fuse just to be safe... I go depthfinder to fuse to battery, and I plan on attaching the pump to the same fuse.

Comment

weird, i hooked it up with the fuse holder and it didnt power up.

took it off, hook it from pump to battery, and it worked fine. am i doin something wrong here? i used the fuse holder that came with the fish finder(cuda 300)

Comment

Working...
                              X