Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHSP (Just Blues for me) Sat, 5-9-15

CHSP (Just Blues for me) Sat, 5-9-15

I had green crab and was planning to spend half the time fishing for togs; the other half fishing for blues. Met JohnE at the launch, and he was going to search for togs too (with a variety of baits). For me, it turned out the blues fever got the best of me. I didn't spend any time fishing for togs.

As expected, the crowd out there was pretty good. At one time, I counted over 30 watercraft around. It wasn't too bad, though. I was in the middle of all the boats steering and casting my way around. There were no incidents. Had a few friendly chats with the boaters. Everyone seemed to know their space.

The blue bite? Overall, I think it was moderate. Probably not as good as earlier days. Having been on the water 10 hours I saw many boats pull up blues here and there. Some boats didn't pull up anything. Every now and then a head boat would pull up fish.

I had a stringer of blues (26-32"). Had several come-offs too. One blue pulled the hook off my spoon; it straightened the split-ring. (The day prior I changed the treble to a single hook; looks like I didn't put in a beefy-enough split-ring. Lesson learned.)

During mid-day, I had a big blue on. It was a good fighter. I kept making circles left and right to keep the fish in front or on the side of me. It kept going under or toward the rear of the yak. It took me well over five minutes to land it. Anyway, I think the boaters around me got a kick out of watching me do piroettes and pull up fish from a dinky yak...lol

Met willf650 and his friend out there. They did well on blues.

When I talked to a few yakers, they said the tog bite was very slow. Maybe a couple yakers took home a few keepers.

Hey, ComeOnFish. I heard your secret tog spot was overwhelmed with toggers. Many were huddled together trying to get togs.

In the afternoon I was thinking of going to the Outer Wall for togs with JohnE, but I didn't. The fog was off and on all day; one moment it was clear, the next moment it was foggy. The water was fairly calm, but I didn't want to risk going out there and getting caught in a fog roll-in. I guess it didn't matter since I had blues fever anyway.

Overall, in spite of the crowd, it was very good day.
    Attached Files
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Really nice fish, congrats!

Comment

I thought I was going to go home skunked and almost gave up. I wish I had the gopro running for that bluefish action. I am still excited from the battles. What reel were you using for blues? It was more fun on my revo, but pretty crazy how much line they would pull off if I did not really hammer down on the spool. The 550ss was too easy. I am sure I will be able to handle any size cobia with that combo I had with me.

Catch any with that kastmaster?

Comment

Nice job guys! I had quite a few bites from tog Friday, but they overall just didn't seem to want to take it too good compared to last Sunday when I caught most everything that bit... I feel pretty lucky to have scratched out a limit, with a few small ones mixed in
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I guess I was just having a bad weekend...had some other mishaps besides not catching any fish until I was about to head home. I did have some really good tog bites, but they were just not feeding aggressively. A lot of other times I will have to feed them from 2-6 baits before I hook up. This time they would hit it, but could never get them to hit the next bait I would drop. I'm heading to Rhode island in a couple weeks and will luckily be able to catch the tail end of tog season up there, but I guess that's it for around here til fall for me.

Comment

Good job tufnik - I figured it would be crowded on Sat. so I went on Friday.

Outback 2015
            Maui

Comment

No wonder I didn't see you, Paul.

I used the same 6.5 oz baitcaster (Pflueger Supreme XT) that caught the three bull reds last year, John. Didn't catch anything with the kastmaster. I think I need to polish it up to give it more shine.

Comment

I hooked up a few with mine, but the more shiny hopkins did seem to get more and larger blues. Let me know if it shies up any...they are very old and most of the hair fell off them.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
                  I hooked up a few with mine, but the more shiny hopkins did seem to get more and larger blues. Let me know if it shies up any...they are very old and most of the hair fell off them.
                  Used Flitz polish. What do you think?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Wow, that should definitely work better now. I will try shining up some more of them. They were sitting in a dusty old basement for probably as long as I have been alive or longer.

-I just dug out an old 300' roll of 60lb sevalon wire for next time. I should have looked for some sooner. Man, they still sell this stuff and it is almost $8 bucks for a 30' piece these days. I guess I do have a good supply for lots more blue catching.
                    Last edited by JohnE; 05-10-2015, 06:34 PM.

Comment

You guys did really great. Congrats. I would have joined you if I did not have to go out of town that weekend. Well I will see some of you at Jamaica Bay.

Comment

meh... first time out of CHSP last saturday.. didnt do so well at least i know what to expect now. 3 of my friends caught a few blues though.
                        Michael
                        2016 Hobie Mirage Outback
                        Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

Comment

Hey Tufnik,

Kuljc and myself did descent at the inner wall. Didn't see you on my way back in at all. Must have missed you or passed you on the way in. Kuljc and myself both caught some decent sized tog while most around us only caught shorts. We were one of the first few at the wall in the morning, but after about 2 hours the bite completely disappeared. I personally ended up with 15", 16", 16.5", 17.75". Kuljc limited out as well.

Sad to say my I brought my gopro and made sure it was charged, BUT no SD card. Kuljc snapped a few of me from the distance.

P5090007.jpg
                          The best time spent is time that doesn't feel like it was spent at all. When it's worth it you'll give everything to do it all over again no matter what the cost.

Comment

Working...
                          X