Fish Finder Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish Finder Install

So I got a new fish finder and decided to re-do my transducer setup. I was using the vaseline/pool noodle method and kind of got tired of re-filling and adjusting the transducer. So I decided to use the water method which I got idea from a member on another forum, with some slight modifications. Basically, I got a 3 inch pvc fitting from the plumbing department of home depot. I used silicone to attatch the base to the hull and attached the transducer to the cap. The cap then screws into the base which is filled with water and whala!

Here are a couple pictures.
    Attached Files
    Hobie Revolution 13
    Hobie Fishing Team

Looks like a professional job .......

Comment

Very Nice! Definitely something to think about when I get back and need to redo the FF on the FS10 Good Fishin

Chimo

Comment

I have been using the duct seal wet well system in my Prowler 13.. but after yesterday's M&G I need to move it farther back towards the center of the boat as the rough water caused the hull to lift in the air underneath the bow area.

This looks really nice and professional-
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

very clean install. I was going to go that route as well but got lazy and went with the Duct seal method.

I was also worried about getting a good seal in the hull for the well. Flat spots on the centerline are hard to find in the bow area of my trident and i feared a leaking well would cause more issues on the water. I could have put it move towards the center but i didn't want to obstruct the center storage area. I just need to man up and buy an new unit so i can take advantage of the transducer scupper mount option.

Your job looks top notch though. Let us know how the readings look now after the install.

Comment

thats a nice clean job! i haven had to adjust my vaseline mount since installing it last year. cut out a sponge for the trand. siliconed that in behind the post in the front hatch and tywraped the wires to the post, used only enough vas. to coat the transd. maybe 1/8"

Comment

Originally posted by mmanolis2001 View Post
              very clean install. I was going to go that route as well but got lazy and went with the Duct seal method.

I was also worried about getting a good seal in the hull for the well. Flat spots on the centerline are hard to find in the bow area of my trident and i feared a leaking well would cause more issues on the water. I could have put it move towards the center but i didn't want to obstruct the center storage area. I just need to man up and buy an new unit so i can take advantage of the transducer scupper mount option.

Your job looks top notch though. Let us know how the readings look now after the install.
              When you buy a new unit bear in mind that Hummingbird doesn't make some of their models with transducers that will fit our scupper mounts- so far Hummingbird hasn't made any of the down imaging transducers that will fit the scupper options we have on our OK kayaks-

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                When you buy a new unit bear in mind that Hummingbird doesn't make some of their models with transducers that will fit our scupper mounts- so far Hummingbird hasn't made any of the down imaging transducers that will fit the scupper options we have on our OK kayaks-
                You are right on about the new Down imaging units and the compatibility with our scupper mounts. But Ocean Kayak resolved that issue with releasing the Ultra 4.3 and 4.7 kayaks. Those bad boys will fit almost any Transducer. To bad that does not help us out

Comment

Do you think they will sell those over here in the USA? New Zealand boys have been pitching that for a while on their forums, but OK may only sell them abroad- the expanded scupper transducer mounts would be nice, but Hummingbird would still need to sell a plastic transducer for down imaging unless we "jury rig" the standard transducer mount to fit-

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                    Do you think they will sell those over here in the USA? New Zealand boys have been pitching that for a while on their forums, but OK may only sell them abroad- the expanded scupper transducer mounts would be nice, but Hummingbird would still need to sell a plastic transducer for down imaging unless we "jury rig" the standard transducer mount to fit-
                    I'm not sure if those are available in the states yet. I was browsing the New Zealand forums and they are fitting the 500 HD DI and 700 series HD DI transducers in the kayaks without much modifications.

Comment

The Ultra's are showing up in the US. They did a small run of them for the 2011 season, I would expect to see more of them next year.
                      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

oddly enough, the hummingbir170 i put on the Revo works better than the 385ci on my torque. Im wondering if im getting interference running the fishfinder off the same battery as the motor. The revo has the wetwell setup an works amazing the torque has the thru scupper transducer. I may have to try a seperate battery and see if it changes. its odd b/c i spliced the transducer cable on the revo.
                        Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Working...
                        X