Kayak storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak storage

Just wondering how everyone stores their yaks... I'm looking at building or buying something this weekend but am not sure what I should get. I've read that storing it on it's side is good but it is also acceptable to store it upsidedown on a rack. Any thoughts or pictures? Thanks.

Josh
    2010 Hobie Outback

Bought one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00260GL1Y

All I do is hoist it up to the ceiling so I don't take up space in the garage.

Comment

The roof of my shed won't allow me to hang anything, so I built a set of saw horses. I took four 2x4s, cut them slightly wider than my Tarpon, and screwed two together to make 4x4s. I carpeted them with indoor/outdoor carpet and I store my Tarpon upside down on them. I also carpeted the top of the saw horses. The saw horses straddle the Tarpon, and I store my Revo upside down on them. It's kind of a pain if I want to take out my Tarpon instead of my Revo, but I don't do that very often. If I had the wall space, I would use the big, kayak J-hooks instead.
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I built a rack using two 8' 4x4's, 1x4's and as big of J style outdoor metal hanging planter brackets I could find. I think 17". Two 4' sections of 1x4's are screwed at the bottom of each 4x4 and act as "feet". A couple more 1x4's across the bottom above the feet, 2 more about mid way at about eye level and two at about 7'. These are holding the 4x4's about 4' apart.

Mounted the J brackets (upside down versus hanging a planter) on either side (I have 2 kayaks) about waist high and covered them with pipe insulation. Pool noodle is a bit tougher. Nearer the top I mounted brackets to hold bikes on either side to get our bikes off the ground.

I have pics somewhere so if interested I can post...

Comment

I encase mine in a UV/water proof cover and chain it up outside. I live in a 3rd floor apt so I really don't have any other choice. So far it's worked well.
          2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

i made a rack out of 2x4s and 4x4s recycled from my back porch railing after building a screen room a couple years ago. the back is higher than the front and about 10' long between the back and front ends i used 2" webbing to make a sling to hold my revo. i can have it rightside up to work on or on its side about 110* so the bottom is to the elements for storage

Comment

Perfect timing for this thread. I am just finishing up a rack made out of 2" PVC to hold my Kayaks. I will post some pics as soon as i get it put together and loaded.

Here are the plans i came up with.

Comment

I just glued it up and got it loaded. Man it feels like central Florida in august out there I'm soaked.

Here is my solution quick, easy and relatively cheap. This whole rack will fit under my deck and should keep the boats out of the sun and make it easier to store. The large gap (around 36") between the horizontal bars allows me to load the kayaks hull down and then flip them once in the rack. Hopefully critters wont make a nest under the bottom rack and scare the SH@t out of me when i pull the kayak out.

Oh how i love PVC. Its the Kayakers best friend

Comment

Very nice. I have been thinking about building something out of wood but PVC looks like the way to go.
                  Jim

Hobie Outback
                  TKAA member
                  Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

One sits on a single kayak trailer in the garage. When I have a second, it hangs on a hoist from the ceiling of the garage.

Comment

Dang .......... will you look at the rack on that ......... definitely gotta get me 1 .......... definitely ........

Comment

Currently the revo is on sawhorses ready to have some holes drilled and the rest are on their sides in the garage next to it. Usually all three are on their sides but it takes up the whole single garage. I've been sketching out a pvc idea for awhile now that will be much like Mike's but it will have a third tier. The cross supports on mine will have a larger piece of PVC over them to act as a roller (planned but I'll probably cut it) and some pipe insulation. I plan to put the whole thing on wheels.

I'll post up when I get the time to actually do it, which doesn't seem to be anytime soon.
                        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

[QUOTE=mmanolis2001;11536]I just glued it up and got it loaded. Man it feels like central Florida in august out there I'm soaked.

Here is my solution quick, easy and relatively cheap. This whole rack will fit under my deck and should keep the boats out of the sun and make it easier to store. The large gap (around 36") between the horizontal bars allows me to load the kayaks hull down and then flip them once in the rack. Hopefully critters wont make a nest under the bottom rack and scare the SH@t out of me when i pull the kayak out.

thats pretty sweet, you have way too much time on you hands

Comment

Thanks for all of the advice. I think I'll go with the PVC since the rack will be moved in the near future and my buddy will be storing his yak with mine. Thanks again and hopefully this turns out right...
                            2010 Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
                              thats pretty sweet, you have way too much time on you hands
                              I know its sad

Too much tinkering and not enough fishing....

I have some more inspector gadget stuff to post later this month. More PVC fun, some wheels, tubing, various fittings, a couple of buckets and a bilge pump on the way.

In a couple of weeks i should be able to pull my kayak over sand dunes and keep enough bait alive for the rest of the summer.

Comment

Working...
                              X