Trap Pond -- 12 and 13 May

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trap Pond -- 12 and 13 May

Raptor and I are camping the nights of 12 and 13 May (Tuesday and Wednesday) at Trap Pond in Laurel, DE. We look forward to afternoon and evening fishing sessions on the 12th, all day on the 13th and a morning session on the 14th.

There are numerous campsites and cabins presently available for those nights if you would like to join us on the 90 acre pond for what typically is excellent freshwater fishing -- bass, crappie, bluegill and pickerel. Or if you would like to join us just during one of the above days, please do so.

Here is Trap's website: http://www.destateparks.com/park/trap-pond/

It shows which campsites are available and allows on-line registration.

You will need a Delaware fishing license: http://www.dnrec.delaware.gov/fw/Fis...ngLicense.aspx

If you have any questions about this trip, please PM me.

Raptor and I hope you can join us. Please let us know if you intend to do so.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Four (possibly five) Snaggedliners are spending a few days at Trap Pond starting this afternoon. If you are in the area please join us. We’ll give it a good effort. I hope we have some nice catches to report.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Comment

Ready to go,
      John Rentch
      Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
      Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Trap Pond -- 12 and 13 May

I'll be down tomorrow evening after work and will fish till dark.
        Hopefully around 5:30 but should be there at 6:00 at the latest.

Need to pick up a cart off of J Veil so I'll make use of the trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
        Last edited by willf650; 05-13-2015, 07:48 AM.
        1980 Something Old Town Canoe
        2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
        2015 Coosa HD
        2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
        2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

Comment

Challenging but fun. Those are the best words to describe our brief trip to Trap Pond. High winds and sunny skies made our primary quarry (bass) elusive, but we each managed to catch a few bass and lots of other panfish and also a catfish.

Six Snaggedliners spent all or part of the trip with us: J. Rentch, J.A. Veil, Raptor, Scott Taylor, willf650 and me (Mark.)

Our accommodations: Cabin 1 and Yurt 1.

F.jpg G.jpg

Raptor had fun with our housing on the UHF radio – “Cabin 1 calling Yurt 1” was a frequent radio transmission during our outing.

Front door parking:

J.jpg K.jpg

We ate well. No charcoal, real fire for Chef John:

H.jpg

I doubled up on my Lipitor!

Trap Pond is a scenic destination:

P.jpg L.jpg N.jpg

Catch report:
          I landed only 5 bass all trip, despite pedaling over 17 miles in Trap's 90 acres. I got one on a spinner bait and the rest on a fly rod poppers. In fact each of my other catches were on fly rod poppers – a pickerel, 24 bluegills and 2 crappie. The high wind made shelter a necessity so each of my catches except one (the bass on the spinner bait) were hooked close to shore.

I really like to catch the bluegills in Trap. They have such deep colors:

P1000466.jpg

This crappie took a popper within a foot of the shoreline. I was hoping it was a bass.

P1000483.jpg

Our trip to Trap took Raptor out of his comfort zone, the Chesapeake Bay, where he does an outstanding job trolling for stripers. So what does he do in a 90 acre pond…troll for crappie, of course. And it worked! He caught A LOT of crappie by trolling. His book “Crappie on the Long Line” will be out soon.

Thanks to each of you who participated. The bass were scarce for us and I know from experience bigger ones than we caught reside in that pond. But I enjoyed your company and had a very good time.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Comment

I echo your comments Mark, my first pond fishing experience, very enjoyable.

John
            John Rentch
            Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
            Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Many thanks to Mark for arranging this first out-of-town trip of the Old Guys Who Like to Fish group. I stayed in the comfortable yurt. I had an outstanding view from my front door.

008.jpg 009.jpg

I had the least catching success of our group, but still managed small representatives of four species.

011.jpg 013.jpg 015.jpg 016.jpg
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks for the reports and photos from one OGWSHTW (Old Guy Who Still Has to Work)

Comment

Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Comment

Working...
                  X