A little pot hole fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little pot hole fishing

I don't know about you guys, but one of the main reasons I been using my kayaks for the past 20 years is to get me into places that are unfishable by other means.

With the advent of the google earth there are now endless possibilities
    When I see an example like this I get excited

Yesterday day we visited a pond we hit a couple times a year and have been doing so for about 25 years. First on foot wading around the edges and also by canoe before the purchase of my first kayak. The only reason this place exists is due to a little creature called the beaver. I love beavers, they are one of my favorite animals and best fishing buddies. We only hit this place a couple times a year because it's not the easiest to get to carrying a kayak. We were all about it on the way to the pond but by the time we loaded up and had blood soaked legs we realized why we only hit this pond a couple times a year. Both of us walked into a beaver knawled stick at about knee level while carry the kayaks down a section of trail that has no route to use the carts. A word of advice is to be the one in front when carrying a kayak, that way you can see what your about to walk into.

This is about a 1/2 mile from parking on the side of the road. It's pretty open now but in the summer it gets really tight. This is the same wide open trail in the first few pictures during a summer excursion.

I like the Coosa but had a panic attack. I had a Shimano Stradic Ci4 on a St Croix strapped on the side. We dropped into the water and I struggled through and area like this to get to the main body of the pond.

I then reached down to grab my rods to start rigging and only the top half of the rod was there. The lower half of the rod and the reel were gone. Luckily I back tracked and my fishing companion found it submerged in a few inches of water. I thought I was out almost $450 in one shot.

This trip wasn't as good as our first outing of the year. This trip the fish only averaged around 12" but we had a couple of 16"s mixed in as well as the big fish of the day at 20". We were probably in excess of 30 fish for the day but we got home after dark so it was an all day event.

Some times it not always about the fish. We saw a bald eagle and what was either the eagle's nest or possibly an osprey. There were nesting geese all over and a wild turkey flew over our heads as we spooked him on the bank.

The Beavers have been working over time. There are now 4-5 huge beaver lodges and they have now tuned this area into 3 separate ponds. Two of which weren't there last year.

We ventured into three different ponds crossing around the beaver dams.

Sometimes the trip isn't just about the fishing. I'm looking forward to this year. I have 5 new ponds picked to check out. One of which we walked to on foot and it was a mile from the parking area. There are two more that are in excess of that and one that I think will take a chain saw and machete to access. I'm hoping to scope out the chain saw access one at least on foot in the next couple weeks before it gets grown in for the year. If I don't get to that one soon it will have to be pushed off for another year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willf650; 04-19-2015, 09:09 PM.
    1980 Something Old Town Canoe
    2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
    2015 Coosa HD
    2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
    2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

Great report. Love your perseverance to get to the water and forging the beaver dams. Kayak fishing in its purest form.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Thanks for a fun read and nice pictures. It sounds like a really worthwhile trip.
      Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
      Cobra Explorer

Comment

Well said Big Mike!

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
        Great report. Love your perseverance to get to the water and forging the beaver dams. Kayak fishing in its purest form.
        2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

<3 Google Earth. I did the same thing before getting a kayak. One day maybe I'll try with the yak.
          Mike

Comment

That's awesome bro! Hat's off for your adventurous spirit!
            -Mustafa
            ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
            2016 Hobie Outback
            2012 Hobie Revolution 13
            "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

That's pretty cool makes me want to get a paddle yak to do something like that.

Comment

Working...
              X