OC Flounder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OC Flounder

So I live on 32nd st and there is a pretty nice spot for flounder at the end of the road just off the bulkhead 21-15 ft of water. I'm relatively new to flounder, I've only caught 2-3 in my life time.

I've fished the last two afternoons for about 4.5 combined hours. I know the tides weren't ideal, but some flounder were biting. Yesterday I used a 2 oz bucktail with a chartreuse jig. I was getting hits, but I guess I wasn't letting it take it for long enough because when I set the hook I brought back up half of the plastic jig.

Today was using a flounder rig with GULP minnows and missed 1 or two fish. I couldn't hold the bottom with the bucktail as it was blowing about 20 from the South and chopping with 2 footers.

Any suggestions? What I should feel for in a flounder bite, etc?

Thanks!!

when fish are short striking try cutting the head off of a gulp to get the twister tail closer to the hook, or look for a different shaped bucktail. I have been using the spro ones lately with good success. (past few years that is) Also try catching some spot or croaker and give that a shot. Killie's/ mud minnows whatever you want to call them usually work well for flounder too. braid helps because its a lot more sensitive but can cause you to pull the hook right out of their mouth so try setting the hook with a slower raise and then a quick sharp hit towards the top of your set. hope this helps!

Comment

Maybe try trimming some of the hair back on your bucktail and thread the gulp up a little further so they can't short strike the back? I'd say downsize jig/bucktail but it sounds like 2oz or more is going to be needed to hold bottom.

For the flounder rig bites, I found it was easier learn the feel by using a carolina rig from the beach - gulp hooked in the nose + gold khale hook + 18" leader + swivel + bead + egg sinker (3/4 -1.5 oz is usually my go to from the beach) + to main line. This way you feel the bite a lot better since the line moves through the egg sinker over the normal 3 way. On the beach I just reel out and drag the rig as slowly as possible across the bottom. Sometimes it will get nailed, most times you'll feel a weird pulse in your line. When that happens drop your tip and take a step towards your rig. You should still be able to feel a small tap tap, give it a few seconds then reel and slowly raise your tip. If you feel resistance, give it a quick pop at the top to make sure you hook up. It works pretty well and it gives you a better feeling of the bite. With bigger strip baits and live baits, the time needs to be extended bc they will mouth the bait longer than the small gulp or a mud minnow. That being said, I think I still miss the first 3 or 4 flounder bites every trip because I can't stop my hands from reacting. Same problem with circle hooks for me, I can only fish them when I have little to no contact with the rod.

I've caught flounder, bluefish, croaker, and speckled trout on this rig in the past so you never know.
      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

timing, timing, timing. let the bait set for a count of 5 then whack it. flounder will hit a bait (any of the above rigs and baits will work well) to injure it the eat it, let it take the bait in before setting the hook. stinger hooks work well when using large strips of belly meat (dogfish belly is great bait and lasts a long time) good luck Matt

Comment

Killed the flounder today!! wasn't on the kayak, was on our pontoon but fishing the same spot I've been at previously on the kayak.

Used a fluke rig with squid and shiner. I'll put some pics up later.

Two keepers 19.5 and 20 inches and some unders then a bunch of crabs once the tide stopped running. missed a few other flatties.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by CB kayak 02; 06-10-2011, 11:00 PM.

Comment

ahh, very nice. going to lewes on the 25th and try my luck either in the canal or off the front of the pier at CHSP

Comment

Working...
            X