Carp in the Gunpowder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carp in the Gunpowder

I got out Saturday morning around 6:30 for some carp fishing. They were running thick. They were splashing everywhere and once I anchored up, they were even hitting the kayak. I swore I could scoop them out with my net. At any rate, I set out some of my homemade carp bait and waited. It's tough to catch carp on a kayak because the carp want the bait dead still not drifting around, so I made use of the stakeout pole and some periodic paddle strokes to keep the yak still. I caught a couple of catfish, lots of bent poles, but only one carp...I think I needed bigger hooks or I needed to be more patient with letting them take the bait. The one I caught was pretty mammoth and a blast to catch on the kayak. I rank carp as some of the hardest fighting fish that I know. They never give up until they are in the boat, making run after run.

I didn't measure this one, but it was wider than the Outback which is 33".
    Attached Files

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Nice fish. They are tough to catch and you are spot on about their fighting abilities. I always wanted to catch one on a fly rod but could never find a pattern or delivery that interested them.

I need to hit the sweet water again and avoid the long drives to the bay.

Thanks for the report

Comment

Wow! Good job. I've never caught a carp. Sounds like one to add to the bucket list. What is the magic bait?

Comment

16 oz water
        1/2 pack jello (i like strawberry)
        1T vanilla
        1T sugar

Boil these ingredients together and then add a mixture of 2 C cornmeal and 1 C flour. Combine as best you can then knead it when it's cool.

When you go out, you'll use most of the bait for chum. Then put your baited hook in the middle of the chum and ....be....patient. Carp are very wary so you may miss a few, but don't worry, when you get your first one it will all be worth it.

Kokatat Pro Staff
        Torqeedo Pro Staff
        Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Awesome fish. Can you use circle hooks for carp?
          Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
            Awesome fish. Can you use circle hooks for carp?
            I'm not sure if it would work or not...for what it's worth, I've never gut hooked one. They seem to suck on it for a little while rather than gulp it down. As a result I think you miss some fish because it sucks it in and spits it out a few times.

Kokatat Pro Staff
            Torqeedo Pro Staff
            Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Nice catch.

Been awhile since I hooked a carp.
              Had a good 30 minute fight with one years ago on an ultralight setup.

Used to shoot'em with the bow in the swamp when I was a kid.
              2013 PRO ANGLER 12
              2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Carp are an absolute blast to catch. You are right though, they are pretty picky eaters considering their size. I've shot plenty really big ones in the spring with bow/arrow. We actually fished Conowingo many years ago and my wife caught one just shy of 20lbs. on 8lb test. Have caught many in the spring while fishing for white perch in Susquehana. Don't let anyone tell you they won't hit a lure. I've seen it too many times with my own eyes. Would love to catch one on a kayak. That will be one wild ride. They will not quit until you get them into the boat. No doubt why they're considered a gamefish in Europe.

As far as one on the "fly", that's what us "poor" guys call Tarpon!!!
                2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Use to catch carp with a j hook and bread ball. Check this out for baits
                  http://www.bobberstop.com/bait_recipes.html
                  '12 Ocean Kayak Prowler trident 13 Orange
                  '09 Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Red
                  Kayak Fishing Mafia

-Both fish and men are often caught with artificial's-

Comment

Originally posted by OBX_RAT View Post
                    Use to catch carp with a j hook and bread ball. Check this out for baits
                    http://www.bobberstop.com/bait_recipes.html
                    Nice site, thanks!

Kokatat Pro Staff
                    Torqeedo Pro Staff
                    Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Do you think they are still there for this next weekend--Sat. If so, place to launch? Also, what is the impact of the cold weather on those bad boys?

Also, do you fish any of the power plants?

Thanks!

Comment

They are there in Spring, early summer when they spawn. They've probably found deeper water but who knows. I launch out of Dundee Creek Marina.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                        Torqeedo Pro Staff
                        Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

I used to launch boat at Dundee creek and bass fish often. I might have to launch kayak there in spring. I lnow lots of people fish carroll island power plant and seem to do well. I wouldn't be surprised if you caught some carp in the discharges. Caught them years ago at brandon shores. Might try foe them in kayak next year. One of strongest fish you can catch in bay area.
                          2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Still Need to Land One

I still need to land a carp. I snagged one last month on the Upper Potomac and it was a horse. After a 5 minute tug o war, my knot slipped and it was gone with my crankbait still in it's tail. I'd be very happy catching a carp eveytime I go fishing.

Comment

I've caught quite a few that bottomed out my cheapo 25lb scale and they are incredible fighters. I cannot wait to catch one on my kayak. Don't let anyone fool you, they will take a grub in their mouth. I've caught plenty with grubs right in their mouths. I have always heard people say they won't take artificials and we know that's false as proven by guys catching them on flys. I've been talking myself out of fishing lately as I'm not very well prepared for cold water fishing as I think I should be. I'm in search of a good dry top and thnking about taking the boat up to the Susquehana really soon looking for some nice yellow perch.
                              2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Working...
                              X