Ft. Myers Trip - Estero Bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ft. Myers Trip - Estero Bay

Just got back from a week in Ft Myers Beach.

We took the Auto-train down and back. This allowed me to take along a good bit of my Kayak gear and a few rods. I did not take the kayak along but found out if my secured load is under 88" overall height it's OK at no extra charge.

First day I found a guy that rents Kayaks, does guided fishing and scenic paddle trips. He was an interesting sole - I liken him to the "Jack Sparrow" of Kayak rentals.

After talking with him for a while I decided to forego the guided trip and try to figure it out on my own. I checked out his kayaks. Not the best selection but found one with a tank-well big enough to fit my milk crate system.

At this time of year the best bet is Sheepshead, Reds and Trout. I figured I needed some bait so I loaded up the kayak and set off for a local bait shop - Fish Trap Marina in Bonita Springs.

The older gent working the place was pretty helpful providing some information - as long as I asked the right question. He hooked me up with some live shrimp and I bought a popping cork or two along with some 2/0 Circle Hooks for Sheepshead.

Decided to launch at Lover's Key Park where I met MikeO. I rigged up my 9'3" Malibu Mini-X and paddled out with Mike. First thing I noticed - this boat is a turd. Stop paddling ... stop on a dime. Wishing I had my Tarpon 120.

We started north in the marked channel toward Lover's Key Pass, Mike was trolling. I stopped and talked with a couple of folks kayak fishing. Their technique was slowly trolling a rigged shrimp behind a popper cork - so I gave that a try. Wasn't long until I had my first fish - about an 16" Ladyfish. Fun to catch and quite acrobatic.

At this point Mike had moved on. My Tarpon 120 is pretty well set-up including a decent Fish Finder - I was missing that big-time.

I decided to troll a Bomber Minnow for a while. It's tough finding deeper water in Estero Bay and there is quite a bit a vegetation that finds its way to the trebles. After cleaning the hooks of numerous times I hooked in to a short Speckled Trout.

Kept moving and found myself in 18" of water. Saw numerous fish including a large Sheepshead. Kept trolling but only caught weeds.

Decided to anchor up alongside a cut between two mangrove islands. Tide was changing and the current was sweeping across the shallow bar between the islands and into a trough up against the roots.

I loaded up a live shrimp on a 2/0 hook and used the cork to float it into the trough. For the next couple of hours I caught several Sheepshead up to 15". Kept a few for dinner and back to the ramp I went. GPS recorded about 5 miles. Did I mention the Mini-X is a turd? This was the only day that I went north due to wind.

Second day out I decided to go south from the ramp. Mike said he did OK there a few days before.

Planned to use artificials to troll and set up with bait later. I rigged up a 4" chartreuse twisty tail on my light weight Carrot Stick and the sinking Minnow on my St Croix bait caster. Wasn't long until the Carrot Stick with the Twister got nailed. A nice Speck just shy of the minimum size of 15". Continued to troll and picked up another Speck or two.

Found a good rip from an incoming tide along a channel just inside New Pass. Threw the Twister tail and floated shrimp under a cork. Wound up catching several more Specks - two nice ones came home for dinner.

Third day - fifth day the weather took a turn for the worst. Wind was whipping up the Bay pretty good and the water clarity went downhill. On and off drizzle and colder temps. The only upside was reduced boat traffic which was pretty bad most of the time. I did manage a few more Specks (all shorts) and a few more Sheepshead, Ladyfish and small Mangrove Snapper.

I did catch a very large Sheepshead along one of the bridge supports under New Pass. Unfortunately, he spit the hook while I was trying to boat him. Caught that fish on an Ugly Stick with a 4000 reel. Those bigger fish put up quite a fight. He pas peeling drag for quite a while. Guess he went about 20" plus - and still swims. Wanted to fish there more but the wind and current wouldn't cooperate.

Sixth and last day was Saturday and I needed a break from the wind and boats.

My wife dropped my off at Lover's Key ramp. I paddled south in the back water searching for something different. It was slow but I managed a few small Sheepshead. Spooked a couple of nice fish off of some flats but never saw what they were - assume they were big Reds or Snook. I casted to them all through the back water but never got a hit.

Emerged from the back water into the bay approaching Big Hickory Island. The wind was whipping from the NNE and I was pretty much soaked for the rest of the day. It was getting late and fishing was really poor for my last day. My wife was going to pick me up a the Big Hickory ramp and I stowed the fishing gear and put an extraordinary amount of effort into paddling the Mini-X across a windswept bay with pretty good chop. Really missing the Tarpon now.

The channel turned east and was able to get out of the chop but the most of the wind followed me.

I was in sight of my destination but still hadn't caught much to speak of. Checked in with the wife - she was stuck in traffic and I was able to get some more time.

Paddled past a small mangrove island and noticed an pretty big exposed oyster bar with current and a calm spot behind the island. I anchored up in the current and started floating shrimp. This was my last shot.

Wasn't long until I started catching. Nice Ladyfish, respectable Sheepshead and finally a short Red. Managed to stringer four Sheepshead for dinner. Left them biting ....

All in all had a fairly decent trip from a fishing perspective. Managed to catch some fish and learned a lot. Was nice to meet a fellow SL kayaker - MikeO.

Things to do differently next time - bring MY kayak, spend more time figuring out the back water.

Sorry - no pictures but I had my hands full most of the time dealing with boats and wind.

I really enjoyed catching the Sheepshead. They are quite the fighter, are a challenge to hook and are excellent table fare. I'll be thinking about a kayak trip to the CBBT this summer looking for them.

Who's in?

ft myers1.jpg
    Chip

Morgantown, PA / Tilghman, MD

Tarpon 120
    Parker 2320

Great report and enjoyable read. Sounds like a a lot of fun exploring and trying new waters/species. I have researched in the past for places in FL that rent Hobie's and it's slim pickings. Maybe cause the water is so shallow. One day I hope to make a similar trip.

Comment

That was a great read! Thanks Chip. I never new about the Auto-train and it seems like a great option.
      -Mustafa
      ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
      2016 Hobie Outback
      2012 Hobie Revolution 13
      "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Nice write up. This place has all sorts of kayaks and fishing gear and is close by (http://www.floridakayak.com/kayaks/). They rent out various kayak.

Outback 2015
        Maui

Comment

Originally posted by Goody View Post
          Nice write up. This place has all sorts of kayaks and fishing gear and is close by (http://www.floridakayak.com/kayaks/). They rent out various kayak.
          Yes, the folks at Economy are great! I'm going to be in Sarasota next week and have reserved a Tarpon 120 for the week for $100. I believe Hobies were going for $125 or $150 for five days, but I don't remember for sure. Having a PA, I'm not about to car-top a Hobie, especially on my inlaw's car! They also have a great selection of tackle and equipment. They're all fishermen as well, so it is not like dealing with the "we rent everything" people.
          LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
          Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Wish there was a place like that closer to Ft Myers Beach.
            Chip

Tarpon 120
            Parker 2320

Comment

I returned last night from three days fishing in Tampa Bay. The weather was delightful -- low 80s, light breeze, sunny skies. The fishing was enjoyable but not super fast action. In about 15 hours on the water over three days, I caught 1 redfish, 1 snook, 25 specs, 5 ladyfish, 1 jack, 1 pufferfish, and a cold (must have been the shock in temperature and humidity). A longer report can be viewed at http://www.hookedup.fish/index.php?t...61/#post-15965.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                I returned last night from three days fishing in Tampa Bay. The weather was delightful -- low 80s, light breeze, sunny skies. The fishing was enjoyable but not super fast action. In about 15 hours on the water over three days, I caught 1 redfish, 1 snook, 25 specs, 5 ladyfish, 1 jack, 1 pufferfish, and a cold (must have been the shock in temperature and humidity). A longer report can be viewed at http://www.hookedup.fish/index.php?t...61/#post-15965.
                Looks like a great day, John! Can't wait to get down there! Beautiful sunset picture!
                LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
                Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Thoroughly enjoyed reading your post, Edgewater. And John, I will be reading your post as well. A trip to Florida to fish is something I've always wanted to do, and it will hopefully be in the next month with all of my own fishing stuff, including kayak. Edgewater's write up is so good I'll save to my fishing bucket list journal and use his methods to fish. John's too. And Edgewater, I'd like to join you at the CBBT.
                  Thanks for posting this!
                  Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
                  Cobra Explorer

Comment

Sounds like you and John had a good time. It is always nice to get away. I am glad things worked out for both of you.

Comment

Yup. Wishin' I were in sunny FLA now.

Pc4sun - thanks for the comments.

Be nice to get a group for CBBT. Looking forward to it.
                      Chip

Tarpon 120
                      Parker 2320

Comment

Working...
                      X