open water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• open water

anything open over that way to fish ? crappie , bass ?
    2016 Hobie Outback
    2014 Jackson Kilroy

Nothing in southern Maryland is fishable right now without a serious ice pick.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Delaware is still iced up. Drove from Dover to Kent Island over the weekend and the only thing I saw open was some parts of back bays but not much shoreline.
      Ride 135 Green
      Big Tuna Orange
      12ft Bote HD
      Outback Blue with Orange Deck

Comment

I fished the Wicomico this past Sunday and it was open. There were some good sized ice chunks floating by. The water was crap and the perch bite was nonexistent, but it was nice to get out on the water. Our ponds are also pretty open down here. Probably more so after tonight's rain. A did hear a third hand report of some yellow perch around the snow hill area.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
        Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
        2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

No ice.jpg

Silver lake in Dover is wide open now. I saw the first bass boat of the year Sunday.
          Ride 135 Green
          Big Tuna Orange
          12ft Bote HD

Comment

Originally posted by babiak View Post
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]14987[/ATTACH]

Silver lake in Dover is wide open now. I saw the first bass boat of the year Sunday.

Do you happen to know if you need a permit for that lake to use a kayak or rubber raft if it is launched from shore?

I looked at the boating permit rules and couldn't see when a permit was required and when it wasn't. I guess by default that would mean a permit is always required. I saw mention of a shore launch area in the rules but not whether the permit was or wasn't required for it use.

Edit

Never mind. I found the phone number for the city of Dover and a permit is required for all vessels regardless of propulsion or launching requirements. The fee for a non-Dover resident is $10 for a non motorized vessel and apparently one is required for each vessel. I was hoping it was one per person and was vessel independent but that's not the case.
            Last edited by willf650; 03-18-2015, 09:29 AM.
            1980 Something Old Town Canoe
            2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
            2015 Coosa HD
            2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
            2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

Comment

Thanks for the heads up! I have been paddling there a decent amount but thought that the permit was only for motorized. Now I see I need two permits "from the City of Dover and the State of Delaware Department of Natural Resources". Rack that up next to my surf casting permits, fishing licenses for DE, MD and PA......
              Ride 135 Green
              Big Tuna Orange
              12ft Bote HD

Comment

open water

I picked up the Silver Lake permit today and it basically consists of a piece of paper and a receipt saying you paid for it. While I was in the office I asked about the DNR permit and they had no idea what I was talking about. From the office I called the DNR number listed on the permit Info web page and the only permit they were aware of is the one from the city of Dover.

Needless to say I think the webpage containing the permit info needs to be updated or reworded to state you need a Dover permit and either a valid fishing license and/or boat registration. Those are the only things that would involve the DNR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                2015 Coosa HD

Comment

Now I am not sure. The requirement seems unclear.

The guidelines on their site say you need 2 permits and one does not exist. Plus the wording on the regulations seems to state it only applies to motorboats. It seems a odd that no one could visit on a weekend and paddle the lake if you have to visit city hall M-F to get a unique permit for 170 specific acres of water in Dover.

silver lake.jpg

https://imageserv11.team-logic.com/m...ing_Permit.pdf
                  Ride 135 Green
                  Big Tuna Orange
                  12ft Bote HD

Comment

open water

You could always play dumb but two of us bought permits for kayaks today and in talking to the clerk we weren't the first to do so. I called last week and verified that they expected you to have one before bothering to get one.

I also bought one for my boat even though I haven't used it in about 5 years. The kayaks were $10 and the boat was $30. I figure it's better to have it then not. Even more so when you pose the question of whether it's required and you are told it is.

I've never fished silver lake but keep hearing it's the best bass pond in Delaware.

2015 Coosa HD

Comment

Good point but the inconsistencies are frustrating.
                      Ride 135 Green
                      Big Tuna Orange
                      12ft Bote HD

Comment

open water

What's even more inconsistent is the fact they gave me stickers for the boat and a piece of paper for the kayak. I was #55 for the year for a boat permit.

What's the deal with lake como in Smyrna?

2015 Coosa HD

Comment

Working...
                        X