Chesapeake Beach 5/28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chesapeake Beach 5/28

Launched this morning at 8am. Trolled my umbrella rig, and a tandem rig. SKUNK!!!

I went straight out for about 1.5 miles. I marked a few at the initial drop around 15'. After that I didn't mark anything. But I pressed on. I turned south and trolled to the cliff right before the radar antennae. Made another right to head toward shoer, then another right to head back north. A big square was my track.

On the way back, I stopped to drift around the wood pilings which appear to be an oyster bed. Used salted bw and shrimp. No takers. I motored toward north beach afterwards. Halfway there I had that "this is a waste of time" feeling. I made a u turn and headed back to the marina.

Before headed back to the car, I decided to explore the creek in the opposite direction. Man it is beautiful back there. I went up creek about 1.5-2 miles, marking few small fish here and there. The creek winds back. Smooth waters there. Passed quite a few kayakers today. None were anglers though.

I motored about 3.5hrs today. It was relaxing out there this morning, but I think things may have picked up, wave-wise.

This was my first time by myself.

In other news, this was my first time this season going without my waders. I had swimming trunks with shallow pockets. I had my phone in my pocket at launch. As I backed out of the ramp, I heard a "kerplunk!" Apparently, it slid back, out of my pocket as I sat down.

May my iPhone4 rest in peace

After that happened, I almost packed up and went back home. I really use it all the time while on the yak. I felt like I really didn't know where to go. That resulted in my half-assed effort today.

It was a great time out there as always though.
    Last edited by MetroMan; 05-28-2011, 03:12 PM.
    <insert witty comment here>

yea, i dont know whats up with trolling at CB right now. I did about the same 2 weeks ago and no takers on the tandem or umbrella
    Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

We must be the last ones to find out...I was the only one fishing as far as my eyes could see. Everyone was elsewhere. Marina West (where we launch) was EMPTY. Very few trailers.

Comment

we need to find out where they are all running off to.
        Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Aww..that sucks. My kayak came with a dry box so I put my phone and wallet/other pocket items into there, clip it shut, and have that all in my crate. Try looking into something like that for your pocket items. All I wear is pocketless water proof pants or swim trunks when out in the kayak so it's a must.
          2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

before you trash the Iphone check the net ........ there is some stuff you can put in a bag with it and it pulls the moisture out ......... saves some cell phones ......... unless of course you have it insured

Comment

you might have to go out deeper 25-30ft to find the croakers

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
                before you trash the Iphone check the net ........ there is some stuff you can put in a bag with it and it pulls the moisture out ......... saves some cell phones ......... unless of course you have it insured
                It's currently submerged in 10' of water lol

Comment

Hopefully it'll form a reef for fish in the future

You are not the only one who skunked. St Jerome's Creek sucked and the water got pretty choppy at the mouth. I managed a small croaker but threw him back.

Comment

Sorry about your Iphone 4, Metro- Expensive loss- I know you used the Fly to Map program and its GPS features- I don't use mine that much at all, except to call- fishing the same area of the bay with my 570 Hummingbird, I pick out structure to fish off the 12286 NOAA chart- and pretty much stick to it. Deep water close to very shallow water is where I want to fish, 6 feet dropping fast to 25 (+) feet. That seems to be where the bigger fish are hanging around- I know that is where the water gets rough and choppy, but if you want fish...

The spring pattern for big trophy stripers is over- forget the big lures and parachutes- time to scale back to smaller lures and bait if you are targeting stripers. The May worm swarms are allowing the fish to gorge themselves at night under the lights, so it is a tough thing to coax them when they are full. I want to give it a try today and tomorrow- I hope my minnow trap is full when I check it later today- Once I finish trolling, I plan to fish this afternoon with big river minnows on 4/0- 6/0 circle hooks- usually that is the ticket to catching the blue catfish.
                    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

If you turn the phone off and put it in a zip lock nag full of rice it takesbthe moisture out and that works sometimes. The rice takes all the moisture out.

Comment

Salt water in the phone means the circuitry is toast.

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
                          It's currently submerged in 10' of water lol
                          Well then ........ I hope it's insured ........

may it rest in peace

Comment

That is true about the salt. Ive heard that up phones going inti toilets and sinks. Well metro I guess you will need this...... www.ATT.com

Comment

Originally posted by Pinch View Post
                              yea, i dont know whats up with trolling at CB right now. I did about the same 2 weeks ago and no takers on the tandem or umbrella
                              Two words.... MAY WORMS

Comment

Working...
                              X