Port Charlotte, Fl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Port Charlotte, Fl

Posting from my phone. I have gotten out a few times, about 20 seatrout, a few snapper, lady fish and a bonnet head shark. It has been worth bringing the kayak.

image.jpgimage.jpg. image.jpg. image.jpgimage.jpg
    Last edited by DOGFISH; 02-22-2015, 07:36 AM.

Nice. You might want to stay there for awhile with the cold front we've got coming.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

I know, it is supposed to get down to 68 here on Friday. That's a cold front here.

Comment

Nice work! I'll be down that way in another month. Can't wait. I think we'll likely be fishing Sarasota...unless you think we'd be better off taking the trip south. Anybody catching reds down your way?
        LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
        Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

No reds yet. I have not seen any caught either. Most say the water is too cold, with most larger fish moving out to deeper gulf water. However, there are fish to be caught. A month later should be better. Even fishing later in the morning, after the sun has warmed the flats makes a difference. Also, study charts of where you expect to fish. Live shrimp seem to be the bait of choice with the cold water. Good luck

Comment

I got into the trout again on Wednesday.

image.jpg

Comment

Don - Thanks for the report. It is great to get away to warmer weather and different species during our winter. I enjoyed 4 days of Florida fishing last month and already booked 4 more days in April.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nice! Cut up those ladyfish and you'll get all the sharks you could want.
                Ryan
                Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I actually thought about using the ladyfish for bait out near the inlet. It is nice to get away. I think next time down here will be in April. Most of the locals agree October is the best all around month. I am quite content with the trout.

Comment

I caught a small red today in Estero Bay

Comment

Good job. Plenty of trout here, but no reds. I leave tomorrow, maybe next time. The locals here say there are some reds around. It's not like when the water is warmer.
                      Last edited by DOGFISH; 02-14-2015, 06:48 PM.

Comment

I enjoyed your posts on this thread.

Congratulations on a good trip.

Reds must be extremely temperature sensitive if it's too cold now in Port Charlotte.

It makes me wonder how they survive at all here in the Chesapeake.
                        Mark
                        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I have had the same thoughts. I can only assume where ever they are they react to the cooler weather. I can only say that I have always enjoyed Florida fishing. This has been my first trip to the west coast. The Gulf Stream influences the east coast, as far as water temp. At least the type fishing that I have done down here in the past.

Comment

........ Look for the power plants in the winter down there ( same as here) ....... Use to catch a fair amount in the discharges when you couldn't catch elsewhere

Comment

Working...
                            X