Persistence was rewarded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Persistence was rewarded

On our final day in Tampa, Raptor (Terry) and I fished a large flat area to the northwest of Tampa. The weather was pleasant again, but the fish were finicky. Our timing was slightly off. We had just anchored at a 4 ft deep trough in the middle of a 1 ft deep flats and began casting 12 fathom Slam R lures. I caught two trout and a small flounder.

IMAG2903.jpg

A friend of our guide paddled over and said he had caught 20 nice trout from the same trough on the previous day. He had been out an hour earlier than us and already caught 5 large trout. Then a dolphin had moved in to feed, which scattered the trout.

We moved around casting to other sections of the trough then later began casting on the flats themselves. The bite remained very slow. Toward the end of the 6 hour trip, we cast across shallow flats to the line of oysters near mangroves.

001.jpg

I managed a small redfish on a 12 Fathom Fat Sam mullet.

IMAG2906.jpg

Terry worked hard but could not get a fish to bite. As the trip neared its end, we made our way back to the launch and tried casting over one last flat. Terry finally hit paydirt and landed a beautiful redfish. His persistence was rewarded.

003a.jpg IMAG2916.jpg

After returning to our launch at a beach location, we found many locals enjoying the warm January weather (mid-70s). Many of the older folks were still bundled up, but we did see several younger gals sporting their bikinis on the beach (not bad for mid-January)
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

I'm "RED" with envy here...

Good work guys.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
    X