20 minutes of excitement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20 minutes of excitement

Day 3 in Tampa - launched to calm seas and mild temperature. We cast soft plastics over flats for 2 hours without a touch. Then I had a lackluster hook-up that turned into a drag burner a few seconds later. After several minutes of bent rod and multiple runs, a beautiful 23" redfish came aboard.

IMAG2866.jpg IMAG2864.jpg IMAG2869.jpg

We were re-energized and continued casting. Over the next 20 minutes, I caught two large specs (20.5" and 22.5"). That was it for my catching today.

IMAG2880.jpg IMAG2894.jpg

Raptor continued his mastery of Florida flounder, catching another one today.

On the way back to the launch, we found a group of at least 20 manatees swimming slowly along. We followed them for a while.

009.jpg 010.jpg
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Very cool John. Those are beautiful fish. Neat that you saw the manatees too.

Comment

That is a really good looking red
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Outstanding!
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Looks like you and Terry had a nice trip. Thanks for sharing.
          Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
          Cobra Explorer

Comment

Way to go guys. Be careful of getting too close to the manatees, I read somewhere that when startled they may spray poop at you
            John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
            Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
            2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Who did you guys rent from down there?
              John Hostalka

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
              2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Sorry-rent your kayaks from-
                John Hostalka

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
                2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by jhoss View Post
                  Way to go guys. Be careful of getting too close to the manatees, I read somewhere that when startled they may spray poop at you
                  We did not have that delightful experience. But immediately after I had drifted over a submerged manatee, I heard a loud splash and felt a wake rock my kayak. The manatee had just expressed its displeasure.

Originally posted by jhoss View Post
                  Sorry-rent your kayaks from-
                  We fished with guide Neil Taylor from Strike Three Kayak Fishing. Neil supplies all the gear -- comfortable kayaks, good paddles, ordinary PFDs (Raptor and I brought our own), and top notch rods (St. Croix Avid) and reels (Daiwa Ballistic), plus all the lures. It was very obvious that there are hundreds of miles of shorelines and many acres of flats. Without local knowledge, you are fishing blind, and are likely to have lower success.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis
                  Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
                  X