Tampa Bay - Days 1 and 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tampa Bay - Days 1 and 2

Raptor (Terry) and I arrived in Tampa on Thurs evening for four days of fishing with guide Neil Taylor of Strike Three Kayak Fishing. Another friend, Mike, spent the first two days fishing with us. Terry and I are staying on for two more days.

The weather has been delightful (warm and sunny and moderate winds). The fishing on Friday was tough. We went to a northern Tampa Bay spot where Mark and I caught dozens of trout last Jan. This year the water was cooler, and the bite was challenging. I managed six small specs and Terry caught a few more.

004.jpg

Today we fished near the mouth of Tampa Bay. The water over the grass flats was crystal clear as we paddled to several slightly deeper holes. We caught more trout today. Terry proved to be a flounder master today, catching one after another. I caught a few flounder too, including this one with an unusual spot pattern.

002a.jpg

I also caught a tiny sea robin on a soft plastic lure nearly as big as the fish itself. I also hooked three sea slugs, a type of marine snail without an external shell. Sea slugs are able to eject a purple ink when threatened. Just after I snapped this photo, the scared slug ejected purple ink on my pants leg. Fortunately it rinsed off.

005.jpg 001a.jpg

All fish have been caught throwing 1/8-oz Mission Fishin jigheads with 12 Fathom Slam R lures. We needed to retrieve the lures very slowly to give the fish time to react.

003.jpg
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Nice! Are you going to do any blue water fishing while you're there, or stay in the shallows?
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Good job, guys.

I hope you tangle with some reds before departing.

Keep up the good work!
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
        Nice! Are you going to do any blue water fishing while you're there, or stay in the shallows?
        All light tackle fishing in the shallows.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Just the thought of somewhere warm and sunny makes my day. Thanks for sharing John. Good luck on the rest of your trip
          John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
          Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
          2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
          X