8/14/09 Chesapeake Beach and Fishing Creek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8/14/09 Chesapeake Beach and Fishing Creek

So I got down today at about 11am and low tide was at 12 noon, so I headed back into Fishing Creek hoping that a few rockfish might be waiting at the mouths of the branches of the creek. I was casting a chartruese bass assassin jig on one pole and a rapala silver shad rat l trap on my other pole.

Didn't have any action in the creek but I saw plenty of baitfish and crabs, and a blue and green herron. So next time I might try closer after high tide, and I was thinking about taking the fly rod back there to catch some perch.

Then I head out front of the Rod-N-Reel to fish the Rock Jetties and to hopefully snag a rock or blue. The bass assassin jig was producing action, I had a lot of small blues trailing it but none would hit the lure. Then finally one hit and bit the tail off of it. And of course I didn't have the right tackle box with me so I couldn't replace it. Actually fished it without the tail and still got some trailing fishing.

Then finally a huge hit on the jig!! Hooked up with a large skate and fought it and took a ride for about 5 minutes then the line snapped. I was using pretty light tackle with probably about 8lb test and the line snapped close to where it was tied to the lure so the line may have had a small fray in it. Oh well, but it was the biggest thing I've hooked on the yak yet and I was happy to see that the kayak handled very well and I had no trouble with my balance.

So in the end I didn't catch a single fish, a pretty depressing day. I finished up around 2:30 and came into the docks to chat with all my charter captains and for reassurance they didn't have the best day over in Eastern bay either.

No pics though, didn't have the camera either it was with my good tackle box. I would have like to get a few snapshots of the birds.

GREAT report. even if you didnt catch what you wanted, still sounds like a great day on the water to me. better than working on friday, eh? lol
    sigpic

Comment

Took my new boat out saturday evening for about 2 hours at RNR. It was the first time on it so I was kinda just out to get used to it and mess around a bit, Anyways I bottom fished with my dad on the oyster beds just north of #1 caught plenty of spot and one 13inch croaker.

Today I plan on going out with a few of the other guys at my tackle shop to try and do some live lining just south of the radar towers closer to breezy point.

Comment

what kind of boat did you get?
        Hobie Revolution 13
        Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Got a Palm Beach Whitecap 181 center console. It has a 90 hp mercury saltwater on it. Pretty nice little fishing boat.

Comment

I'l get some pics of it today, gonna take it out this afternoon.

Comment

So i left RNR about 2:30 on the boat with two of my friends I work with at the Tshop. Got out to about 15Ft water north or marker 1 and caught our spot. got about 20 then headed over to just north of Poplar Island to live line. anchored up about 30ft of water with a few marks, but we we close to a charter boat.

My friend caught 2 Blues, 15in and 18 in. then I caught a 19.5in rock, the first rock on my new boat. Only 3 we caught, had a lot of bite offs and that ended up with half eaten spot. But a great day, on the way back was a little rough but she handled well and got back around 6:15 or so.

I am eating the Rockfish right now as I'm typing this pretty tasty. Broiled it up with some lemon, seasoning salt and paprica.

Comment

nice..thanks for the report. how big were the spot?
                Hobie Revolution 13
                Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Spot were mostly around 8-9 inch a few bigger, about 3 or 4 were 7in which i think is a perfect live line size, but it didn't matter to the bluefish they tore up all of them.
                  Attached Files

Comment

awesome...thats a nice boat!
                    Hobie Revolution 13
                    Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

yeah man, a great bay boat!
                      sigpic

Comment

I mated on the headboat "Lady Hooker" out of the Rod N' Reel today, kinda a slow day. Fished over in the mouth of the Choptank River. A lot of good size spot, two good size croaker (14-16in), one 15in flounder, one undersized sea trout, and one hickory shad. There were only 19 people(can carry 70) on the boat today so it was pretty relaxed.

Was overall kinda slow the tide was close to slack almost all day with very little wind and we got some rain. But got paid so I can't complain about making money for being on a boat.

Comment

Working...
                        X