Slow @ PLO, 5/22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow @ PLO, 5/22

I hit Point Lookout with Pinch today. We launched at 8:30am, which was the beginning of ebb. Water temp was around 71*, or so, and salinity was only 6.8, which is pretty low for that area. We met another kayaker named Ed that joined us for a spell before heading out on his own.

We started off working the inlet for flounder but didn't have any luck, we tried bloodworms and shrimp, too, which weren't any more effective. I did manage one 16" striper on the Gulp/bucktail combo.

Pinch and I headed out to the PLO light while trolling an assortment of stuff. I was trolling a #18 Tony spoon with a 1.5oz inline weight. No hits. Didn't see much at all on the fish finder, either. I jigged the light for a bit while Pinch continued on. No luck at the light, and now luck farther out, but there were a decent number of marks between 20 and 40ft.

Then we headed for the oyster sanctuary. Ed said the people in the marina store talked to a kayaker who caught a bunch of stripers and croakers out there last night. I picked up another 15" or 16" striper on a #15 Tony spoon, and that was it. Ed told us later that he didn't have any luck out there, either. Pinch was catching crab pots hand over fist.

We worked our way back to the harbor while stopping here and there with no action. I called it quits at 2pm. It seemed like a slow day all the way around. Several of the boaters I talked with didn't have any luck, and there was lots of complaining on the radio. Redfish12 launched around 2, and Pinch headed out for more trolling, so maybe the action turned on. It was good meeting Pinch and seeing Redfish12 again. Pinch's Torque is pretty sweet--lots of clever ideas for rigging different things. There wasn't much going on fish-wise to take pictures of, but I got a pic of a crab boat and Pinch trolling:

I like it when the sky and water are the same color.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Thanks for the report. The water looks smooth as glass! I sure wish I was able to get out this weekend.
    <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Skunked. Did get a picture of a water moccasin toad fish fight though. Bout it. Um crab pots were stupid today fishing gods not smiling.
      Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

I took my yak out to plo last night, I caught 6 dinks and a 12" flounder it was a long slow night
        '12 Ocean Kayak Prowler trident 13 Orange
        '09 Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Red
        Kayak Fishing Mafia

-Both fish and men are often caught with artificial's-

Comment

thanks for the report bill. i think its going to be slow till june. slows down every year around this time, worm hatch

Comment

Great report Bill. Sorry about the near skunk, but at least it was a pretty and flat day, and it was only a near skunk! Is the salinity super low compared to what it should be? I was out at Chesapeake beach today and the accidental mouthfull of bay from the pool that collected on the coffee lid sure tasted fresh.

Comment

Great meeting you Bill! I apreciate the advice and local info. Hope to run into you again soon!

Comment

Originally posted by EdE View Post
                Great meeting you Bill! I apreciate the advice and local info. Hope to run into you again soon!
                Welcome Ede, we are headed to Pt. Lookout June 11 for a Meet & Greet, flounder, stripers and croakers are on the agenda. July's M&G is a snakehead hunt. There are threads under the Main Forum.

Comment

Bill you're not gonna like this... Got out to the NOAA buoy after wasting a lot of time drifting the inlet and pot minefield. Set up in 28 feet of water near the yellow buoy and as soon as my bucktail hit the bottom I got a weird rap rap and I jerked the hook out of the fish's mouth... Before I can get it back down my other rod goes down that was dragging... Croaker. Made the drift about 7 times and picked up fish or bites every drift. I got one that was about 17" or 18", made the other 10"-14" look tiny. It got off my clip because I was rushing to get my other rod in (first double on the kayak in awhile so that was nice). I kept 6 up to 15" and threw about the same back hoping to run into the pod of larger fish again or a flounder... No dice. Wind really started ripping, I didn't get that glassy water you did, so I headed back to the beach area and drifted my way out. I got what I think were either small flounder or crab bites and that was it. Got in just in time for the no-see-um blitz (spelling?). It's at least an hour and a half drive back for me... plus I stopped in La Plata to drop something by my Aunt & Uncles and get some LEDO's! Just fishing cleaning them and it will be nice to have some nugs tomorrow. I never saw pinch after talking to you...

Hot bait of the day.... Pink gulp on a white bucktail or a circle hook. Go figure. I was kicking myself for not bringing squid! Went through a whole pack of pink. Pictures tomorrow.

Welcome Ed!
                  Last edited by Redfish12; 05-23-2011, 12:27 AM.
                  Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                  Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                  https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Did you hit your secret spot on the bayside? I'm going to St Jerome's next Saturday.

Comment

Metro--Sorry to hear you didn't get out this weekend. It was the first nice one in a while, so I had to make the most of it.

Ed--It was good meeting you, and glad you found the forum. Lots of good local info here. You should be able to get some good intel on places closer to you.

OBX_RAT--I guess the action Saturday night was isolated. I wonder who the marina store operator talked to?

Sam--What was weird was that there was nothing on the fish finder. Even if they were scarfing worms, I figured I would see marks but might not be able to get them to bite.

TJ--The salinity is usually a little lower this time of year because spring is our rainy season, but it is usually somewhere between 10-14 around PLO. The past three years, or so, have been really dry, so I'm more used to those conditions.

Dave--I didn't make it to my secret spot. The tide was too low for there to be any action there, anyway--like what we had last year.

Pinch--I thought for sure you would get into them that evening. It got cloudy, and I thought that would get them to turn on...

Michael--That figures. That was the one area we didn't really investigate. I don't usually fish that area because I head to the point or toward Cornfield Point. Sorry you lost the big one, but it sounds like an exciting evening. Croaker that size are awesome and fight like crazy. I'll have to try the Gulp on a bottom rig trick.
                      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                        Bill you're not gonna like this... Got out to the NOAA buoy after wasting a lot of time drifting the inlet and pot minefield. Set up in 28 feet of water near the yellow buoy and as soon as my bucktail hit the bottom I got a weird rap rap and I jerked the hook out of the fish's mouth... Before I can get it back down my other rod goes down that was dragging... Croaker. Made the drift about 7 times and picked up fish or bites every drift. I got one that was about 17" or 18", made the other 10"-14" look tiny. It got off my clip because I was rushing to get my other rod in (first double on the kayak in awhile so that was nice). I kept 6 up to 15" and threw about the same back hoping to run into the pod of larger fish again or a flounder... No dice. Wind really started ripping, I didn't get that glassy water you did, so I headed back to the beach area and drifted my way out. I got what I think were either small flounder or crab bites and that was it. Got in just in time for the no-see-um blitz (spelling?). It's at least an hour and a half drive back for me... plus I stopped in La Plata to drop something by my Aunt & Uncles and get some LEDO's! Just fishing cleaning them and it will be nice to have some nugs tomorrow. I never saw pinch after talking to you...
                        Hot bait of the day.... Pink gulp on a white bucktail or a circle hook. Go figure. I was kicking myself for not bringing squid! Went through a whole pack of pink. Pictures tomorrow.

Welcome Ed!
                        I went out to 60ft and the wind / current got nuts out there so I headed back in
                        Looked for ya but those white caps made it hard.... lol awesome job though
                        Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

It really did pick up out there. I was using a drift sock on a bungee cord to help slow my drift, made a huge difference!

Comment

I have been so busy. I have not been fishing yet. With all of these reports, that will have to change. The rivers open up on June 1 for stripers. I understand they are already catching good number of croakers in the South River. I'll be out there soon. Won't take me long to catch up.

I have my pier-rat crab rig all ready. I also understand that some folks are already catching crabs. I have a yard wagon that I load up with 30 traps, a cooler and comfortable chair, to fish at the community marina. I was using a dozen traps out in the kayak. Then I realized the kids, who were chicken necking on the piers, were catching as much as I was. So hey, I cut out some of the work. Now I sit on the pier, drink beer and fish, in between my rounds on the traps. Ahh, the land of pleasant living, or so its said.

Comment

That kind of crabbing sounds like the life. I saw some people working hard with hand lines yesterday at the docks of PLO... I think they said they had about half a dozen, which didn't seem like much for the amount of time they probably spent.

Anyway... here's some shots of my fishing trip yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                              X