Rhode River, 5/22/11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhode River, 5/22/11

I finally managed to catch something after several trips out on the Chesapeake. Up until now all fishing in the main bay has been largely unsuccessful, so I decided to try a tributary. I went into Rhode River at the mouth and fished between 10-13 feet of water drifting with bloodworms on a fluke killer rig, slow jigging every 3-4 seconds. Water temp was 77 degrees, a perfect calm day. I managed to get in 6 croaker, had 2-3 jump off the hook , All of them were around the 10" range with a few a little bigger. I'm eating them as I type this.

2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Nice report. I heard that the mouth of the Rhode River had some good topwater striper action earlier this season. Sounds like the bottom fishing isn't too bad, either.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

It wasn't too bad considering this was during the day. I'd like to try again at night and see if it produces better results. The only complaint I have with that area is the sailboat traffic gets a little crazy. I figured most of that would be at the Severn, but there's plenty coming out of Rhode as well.
      2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Good observation. There are some large sailing clubs out of the Rhode and West Rivers. Wait till a race starts. Its like no where to go.

Comment

Working...
        X