Upcoming trip to O'ahu Hawaii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upcoming trip to O'ahu Hawaii

We'll be spending my wifes B-Day in Oahu for about 11 days in February/March. The plan is to do at least 1x kayak fishing trip and maybe a 4 hour shared charter and get lots of surf/jetty fishing in. Anyone have experience fishing here? I've gotten quite a bit of info from some great folks on the information super highway, but I like to be armed to the teeth with info prior to fishing a new location, so if you got anything post it up. Looking forward to chill time and sitting on the beach with my family as well...
    Hobie Outback - Orange

Where Land Ends...Life Begins

I have been there several times and so far the only fishing I was able to do was via a headboat that I would not really recommend. Most charters do not let you keep the fish so make sure you ask beforehand in case you want to cook some in your room. I have seen people shore fishing on the north side of the island, but I never had the chance to get out there! Please post up your results though!
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

I've never been there myself but I know the bottom drops really deep relatively close to shore. There are plenty of videos on YouTube of locals pulling in some big tuna on yaks.
      Mike

Comment

I saw this on another site - http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=12627.0;topicseen might help too

Comment

Yup, that's me as well haha. Love that site Alan, Bryan and Sal have helped a lot in my building old Penn reel projects. Like I said, for me asking around and doing the research is part of the fun for me fishing a new area. The YouTube videos are amazing, I need to sleep...but having too...much fun watching...YouTube, haha. Thanks!
          Hobie Outback - Orange

Comment

Lol! Looks like you are getting decent advice over there! Alan and Bryan have also helped me out a lot on my reel repair issues!

Comment

My only experience in Maui wasn't good in fishing.
              I think in general, locals weren't helpful. I heard this before and I learned it was true. I tried to get an rental kayak for fishing but I gave up because I need to haul the kayak to non-protected water. But I didn't know kayak launch-able non protected water and I wasn't allowed haul the kayak. I got the large surfboard for a week instead. It was a bad idea I couldn't use the surfboard as kayak replacement.

I didn't see shoot-able fish at all in non-protected areas after snorkeling miles several days. The only place I see good sized fish were all protected areas. There must be good fish-able waters. But you really need locals help. I believe not-giving Info is a well-known local's rule.

I hired a spear-fishing guide. This didn't help either. There weren't any fish to shoot.

It is very strange that the fish you caught on a charter boat isn't yours. You buy it from the captain.

Luckily, we prepared many other activities. So the vacation was very good.

Next time, I am not bringing fishing rods, just a pole spear, wetsuit and weights for possible Octopus. If I find a fishable place, I will buy a cheap rod and reel combo.

Joe
              Last edited by ComeOnFish; 01-06-2015, 09:08 AM.
              Fish like there's no tomorrow.
              Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Bummer Joe, sorry to hear it wasn't a great experience.
                Hobie Outback - Orange

Comment

Joe, I'd give Jon Jon a try in Maui. He's got a stellar reputation as far as putting people on fish and getting your money's worth. If you do a Google search under Jon Jon, Maui, you'll find plenty of info. The fishing in HI can be amazing. My wife and I spent 4 years on the Big Island about 22 years ago. Take a wild guess what I miss the most.

BTW - The locals are very tight lipped about fishing and will just steer you to the charter guys. I don't blame them. I wouldn't want tourists overrunning my spots. The internet has done a wonderful job of megaphoning spot burning.
                  Last edited by JKay; 01-09-2015, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X