No announcement yet.

Preventing my Yak to not rock so much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preventing my Yak to not rock so much?

Hey Everyone,
    I have a Hobie Quest Kayak, and it sways to the left and right quite a bit. I'm a bigger guy..6'1 270...I figured I should get some kayak plugs so the water doesn't spill in so much from the bottom, and maybe that would help. But trying to fish comfortably without fearing of falling in sucks. Any suggestions? Thanks...

Have you thought about outriggers? There are hobie ones or you can do it yourself and make some from pvc. I've never used them but I have seen a lot of other guys use them so they can stand up. There was a guy this weekend that had some and he had them set up out of the water so that they would only come into play if the boat rocked and that way it didn't slow his paddling down that much. Seemed like they worked well. I hope that helps!
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

I totally forgot about those..I'll def have to look into those. Thanks for the reminder Redfish..and btw...where do you yak and fish out of? I would love to meet some people from here and do a weekly/monthly thing. Again, thank you for the tip!

Comment

You should definitely go to one of the M&G's! They are a lot of fun and a great group of guys to learn from. It looks like I'm going to miss the June M&G due to a trip that just came up. I'm going to try and hit PLO this Sunday morning though, but I'll post about that later this week. As far as where I fish I go to the bay bridge and that area quite a bit and the rest of the time I either fish the Potomac around 301 or hit the road and fish other waters. I need to explore more of the places closer to home this year but it seems like there is always some family or social thing I end up having to go to that cuts into fishing!

Comment

Outriggers for my hobie

Hey Redfish,
          Check these out http://www.yak-gear.com/OUTRIGGERS.html . I just purchased them, and can't wait to try them out. Again, thanks for suggesting outriggers.

Comment

Looks like that will work well man, let us know how they turn out!

Comment

I'll post pictures as soon as it is mounted. I can't wait..I think this will be the answer to my problems...

Comment

After reading this a day or two ago, I saw a pair of these or similar scotty stabilizers at the West Marine store in Annapolis, on Hillsmere Dr. I think they are on clearance. The price is around $130-140, if I recall correctly. If anyone is interested and goes to the store, tell the salesperson that they are topstocked in isle three. Just happened to notice them today. For some reason they are not near the kayaks.

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
                  After reading this a day or two ago, I saw a pair of these or similar scotty stabilizers at the West Marine store in Annapolis, on Hillsmere Dr. I think they are on clearance. The price is around $130-140, if I recall correctly. If anyone is interested and goes to the store, tell the salesperson that they are topstocked in isle three. Just happened to notice them today. For some reason they are not near the kayaks.
                  Thanks Dogfish..I would have known...Mine will be here on Monday. I would have saved 40 bux. But as soon as they are on...i'll post pictures and feedback!

Comment

Just got my outriggers, and went on the water today with them.

HOLY CRAP! what a difference. I felt no fear of falling in. TOTAL STABILITY AND TOTALLY COMFORTABLE! I highly recommend these to anyone who is interested in getting a pair of outriggers. I'll try to post some pics in the next few days. My next purchase is going to be scupper plugs, b/c due to my weight I"m getting way too much water in the middle of my YAK.

Comment

If you haven't already purchased scupper plugs you can make some pretty easy with a pool noodle or those little yellow golf ball sized nerf balls. For the pool noodle just cut a circle about 1 & 1/2 the size of your scupper and use a lighter to harden it some. Stick a piece of string through either and you're good to go. Let's see those outriggers!

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                        If you haven't already purchased scupper plugs you can make some pretty easy with a pool noodle or those little yellow golf ball sized nerf balls. For the pool noodle just cut a circle about 1 & 1/2 the size of your scupper and use a lighter to harden it some. Stick a piece of string through either and you're good to go. Let's see those outriggers!
                        I'll def have to take pics next time I'm out..I keep forgetting. They are great, but when trying to move fast, they def give you some drag. But my big ass doesn't feel comfortable enough to put up the riggers to paddle fast...so...until I get a new yak (which will be a few years) I'll just have to make do. And btw...I got some plugs..thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
                          Jut bought it ........ thanks Don

Comment

My outriggers!

Hey Yall-
                            Here are my outriggers installed on my Hobie Quest. I hope you all enjoy them, and let me know if you have any questions.
                            Attached Files

Comment

glad you feel more comfy on the water, i hate being in choppy water while tring to get a drift going i like to keep pointed into the wind/waves but it aint easy. i never use scupper plugs better to let the water drain than get swamped. the quest isnt the right size for a large man with gear and all, a ride 135 or big game might have been a better choice

Comment

Working...
                              X