Outback Set-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outback Set-up

I'm interested in seeing some pics of other set-ups for the hobie outback. Just got mine and gonna go bare for a bit until I see what I like.

Specifically:

1. Crate Set-up
    2. fishfinder
    3. location for front rod holder

Here's some pics from my old Outback.

I miss the forward built-in rod holders on the Outback. I think they're a lot easier to deal with than RAMs or Scottys. I cheated and went with a Crate Mate Jr, which my wife picked up for me for a Christmas present. The fish finder mount is PVC and a scrap piece of Starboard.

I cut a hole in the Starboard and friction-fit it to the PVC, which I roughed up with some sandpaper. There aren't many adhesives that I know of that stick well to Starboard. I think I used 1/2" PVC plus some electrical tape for inside the mast tube, a step-up connector, and 3/4" PVC for every thing else. I'll measure in the morning to verify. I was initially going to use eye-bolts to attach the fish finder plate to the Starboard to use as lure hangers, but there really isn't room with my feet on the pedals.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

when you would troll, would you keep you rods in front or behind you?

Comment

Definitely in front of me. The only downside to the built in rod holders is that it's tough to troll two lines without them crossing. I only ever trolled one. I was thinking of making a PVC rig to fit into the rod holders with a large top that I could mount a RAM or Scotty to so I could troll two rods, but I was happy with my catch rate so it didn't seem worth the effort. Having two rods out for bottom fishing worked well, and sometimes I had two bottom rods out while casting a third.
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Working...
        X