Chronic Tinkering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chronic Tinkering

So I went to BPS to get one thing, a roll of 50lb braid. Next thing i know im walking out with another battery, a battery box, 2 spools of marine grade wiring, an accessory plug, 2 tandem rigs, 2 small plastic planer boards, a battery selector switch and a horribly obvious case of add. My original goal was to head out to the bay bridge this week to do some trolling but as i sat and thought about heading all the way out there i came up a crazy idea. What i ended up doing is striping down my yak to reduce the weight and adding a 65AH battery in addition to the 79 ah battery currently powering my torque. With the addition of this new battery i should be able to run at full throttle for 6 hours. i made it so that when i do go trolling i can strap in the extra battery and just plug it in. When my primary dies i know i have roughly the same amount of time left out give or take 30 minutes. Due to the weight i would only be taking the essentials, removing the live well, crate, and other odds and ends. I also bought a new prop the MKP-2 which will give me 0.5mph more at full speed without any additional amp draw........Pictures coming soon.

PS..Anyone want to hit the bay bridge and do some trolling? i was thinking doing circles from the bridge to the Light house.
    Interstate Kayak Fishing

easy for you to do troll down to thomas point light thats where the fish are

Comment

Nice! I was planning on upgrading my prop this summer. Where are you gonna mount the second battery?
      <insert witty comment here>

Comment

I'm off all week and might be looking to do some feesh'n. I'm manual powered but would like to try trolling the bridge. Let's look at the weather and pick a day.

Ed
        Hobie PA 12

Comment

about to take pictures

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
          Nice! I was planning on upgrading my prop this summer. Where are you gonna mount the second battery?
          hard to describe ill go take those pictures. its external though.
          Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

The section right behind the seat looks like the perfect dimensions for a group 24 battery

Comment

yup

The section right behind the seat looks like the perfect dimensions for a group 24 battery
              thats what i thought too, however the battery box i got was a tad big so i mounted it in the tank well behin the dividers. i used the space it made to hold extra lures for the ominous snagg monster.
              Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

haha....thats why i stopped going to BP during lunch. I work about 10min away and everytime i go there i always walk out with a bunch of stuff that i really dont need. its like putting a bag in front of a crack addict...no resistance!!!!
                Hobie Revolution 13
                Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Originally posted by Pinch View Post
                  I also bought a new prop the MKP-2 which will give me 0.5mph more at full speed without any additional amp draw........Pictures coming soon.
                  What prop did you "upgrade" from?

Comment

a v1 weedless wedge, the MKP-2 is a "power prop" recommended on OK's website.
                    Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Originally posted by Pinch View Post
                      a v1 weedless wedge, the MKP-2 is a "power prop" recommended on OK's website.
                      sounds good - I have a Tarpon 140 Bassyak and just picked up the MKP-2 on ebay for $8 + $4 to ship it.

Comment

awesome, i got one for $15 from BPS. at least now i can use the weedless as a backup.
                        Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

You don't need a battery box for a battery in the area behind the seat. I put my second battery back there without being in a box. A little bit of water will not hurt the battery. I have now gone two seasons with the battery back there. Before that I used to put my single battery back there for my side mount electric. Without the box, you can put a 105 amp hour battery in that area. Go for the gusto.

In my Big Game Prowler, I carry two Group 31 batteries, one in the bow and one behind the seat. I can troll all day with that set up. I use a selector switch. I have an access hatch in the area in the rear of the load well. I mounted an electric motor plug in the center of the hatch. That way all I have to do is plug in the additional battery. The current will find its way.

Comment

Thanks for the tip dogfish.

With the added weight, I wonder how much harder would the yak be to flip. Did you secure your rear battery to hold it in place in case of "oops"?

Comment

I have a strap that goes over the battery. Of course most of the time I forget to use it. The one thing that I have noticed is that the bow of the kayak is heavier in rough water, due to the bow battery. Overall, it does not affect me that much. I choose wind, weather and where I go for conditions. Eight hours of trolling is no problem with the rig I now have.

I would be curious if the power prop makes that much of a difference. Power and speed are two different things. With more power, you may actually loose some speed. However, pushing through waves and wake would be easier. I may already have a power prop on my motor. It does not look the same as the weedeater type props. In any event, trolling with the rig that I have is great fun. I have never been a fan of trolling from boats. Trolling from a kayak is for great for using lighter tackle and is quiet. It is a great tactic for finding fish. Following my starting fishing from a kayak, I realized just how many fish are in the shallows. The kayak is perfect for not scattering the fish, as one would would do with an engine.
                              Last edited by DOGFISH; 05-19-2011, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X