Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zero Bites at the CHSP Inner Wall Oct 28, 2014

Sunday, Oct 26, 2014
    I arrived at CHSP after 8:20 AM. The NW wind @18-20MPH was blowing as expected. So because of the wind direction, both sides of the inner wall wasn't quite fish-able for tog.
    At the parking lot, I met a kayaker from PA. Because I noticed that he didn't have adequate tackles, kayak and clothing, I assumed he was a newbie in saltwater fishing. I was very concerned about his safety. So I talked him, and we made sure that everything was tethered.

When I came back to the parking lot to put the cart in the truck before the launch, I met CostalDan. He already had one tog in the cooler.

The newbie struggled when surf-launching the kayak against the incoming waves. The water was very stained. I never had luck with very stained water. The waves weren't high because we are still in the small bay. But the wind was too much for a regular paddle kayak for tog fishing to stay with the possible holes. I stayed with the newbie within 50' all the time. His safety was the number one concern. I had zero bites until the newbie got turtled. He struggled when he tried to re-enter. He wasn't familiar with the strong wind and 2-2.5' waves. Noting was lost except one water bottle. When we got back to the beach, CostalDan also came back.

I went out again. This time, I tethered myself to the kayak. I fished the ocean side of the Inner Wall. The ocean side of the Inner Wall was worse. It was very hard to fish close to the wall. After I lost 7 rigs for 2.5 hours, and without any bites, I gave up.

Joe
    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 10-27-2014, 07:52 AM.
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Wow he's lucky you were out there! I helped a young amish guy who turtled this summer and cut his leg real bad on the rocks of the inner wall. He lost his rod and a bunch of gear. People underestimate how nasty it can get even by the inner wall. With the water temps getting lower that could've meant death for that guy if he was unable to re-enter and was out there alone. Be smart people!
    Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Good to finally meet you Joe! Bummer about no bites in the afternoon; at least it was nice to sit on the water for a bit. I did have to clean my gear especially well with the insane amount of salt build up from the spray and wave breaks, haha.
      Hobie Outback - Orange

Where Land Ends...Life Begins

Comment

It was rough at CBBT Saturday morning too. Tough surf and winds 15+ kts. Almost changed our minds, but we went anyway and got wet on the launch. The wx did settle during the day.

Good thing you noticed the newbie and helped him out. Kudos to you, Joe.
        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Good job saving a noob joe and ocean city was pretty rough and dirty aswell.
          "Be like water my friend"

12 Hobie outfitter

Comment

JOE, hats off to you bro for keeping watch over the young man & helping him...sounds like he was very fourtunate you were there!! good job on the water Joe that day!!!

Comment

Great Job Joe, even though I consider myself still new to the sport, I have practiced deep water recovery many times. I cant imagine launchin the bay surf is that difficult since I've launch the ocean surf a few times without incident. Common sense makes a big difference. It good to know that experience yakers can identify those without experience and stay close, in this case, you were there man, nice.
              Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
              Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Joe, you are one of our Snaggedline Heros.... hats off to you.

Comment

I did a re-entry training event by Thomas Point Light House a couple weeks ago. It was a little bumpy, with ~18mph winds blowing down the bay. Fell off my Outback while reaching back into my crate....leaned a little too far back and splashed in. Got back in over the side like a penguin jumping out of the water and back on the ice. Pretty sure it was entertaining for Jason, less so for me, but glad it happened. Now I have the confidence that I can get back in without issue, and know a little bit more about the limitations of lateral stability.

Note to newbs: Wear your PFD; always. I'm a strong swimmer, and don't think a PFD was necessary for my dunking, but no reason to take chances...especially now that the water is getting colder.
                  Hobie fleet:
                  2017 Quest 13
                  2015 Outback
                  2014 Outback

Comment

Hey Joe this is Lui.... Guys I wanna thank joe for being there and for just walking me thru a rough day specially for a newbie. I was thinking of just fishing from the pier that day and met joe and since i had my kayak I decided to try it with joe next to me. Rough day to learn, hard lesson for newbie. But with joe as experience kayaker helping out the new ones like me it made me realized that it is really great to be part of this community. I really wanna learn more and will be improving hopefully from you guys.... I know its not that easy but I will get there.

And also to coastal_dan thanks for some great points...

Joe hope to talk to you again.. Like I said I wanna learn..

Comment

Welcome to the site!
                      Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Welcome to the Fish Dynasty, Lui!
                        Get a wader (3mm waist high stocking foot, $70) from Cabela and a large pair of sandals from Walmart (I have an additional pair size 13)
                        I will bring an additional tog rod when you are ready and the weather is good.

Joe
                        Last edited by ComeOnFish; 11-04-2014, 08:28 AM.
                        Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Welcome Lui, glad you joined! Looking forward to seeing your fishing reports.
                          Hobie Outback - Orange

Where Land Ends...Life Begins

Comment

Thanks Romo and Joe, I will Joe I really need 1. When I'm off and the weather permits and its not too cold I will email you. It is really worth driving and spending great time with great people. Joe if you send me your number thru private message or call me if you still have my number. Looking forward to meeting everyone out there and getting everyone's suggestion for me to get better. Thanks guys....

Will always be thankful.... PaddleHard!

Comment

Lui,
                              Check one of my pm for phone number.
                              I can bring my Revo also on Nov 15 (Sat) if you want to fish CHSP. Though you still need a wader. Nov 15 will be my last day at CHSP. I will be fishing VA Beach area.

Or you may fish CHSP again from the end of April, or whenever the DE Tog season starts.

joe

Comment

Working...
                              X