More May Fish 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More May Fish 2011

I got my quota of May fish once again. On Saturday at the M&G on the Severn I caught 8 White Perch that I kept up to 11 inches. On Sunday, Steve Rehner and I went to the Nanticoke River on the Eastern Shore and fished until 8:30pm. The Eastern shore has alot of roads that seem to end at the water or a small public beach. We explored and found 6 public launch areas (both official boat ramps and unofficial put in areas at small beaches) that was great that gave us access to both the Nanticoke River and the Wicomico River. In the end, because it was alittle windy during the day, we chose to launch from a public marina into the Nanticoke. The trip took us 2.5 hours to get there. We made a stop on the way for some breakfast. It was partly sunny there with temperatures around 72 degrees, but with the sun it felt more like 80 degrees at times. Fishing was tough at first due to the wind and the fast drift. At 4:30pm we got into the fish. The technique that worked best was to through our line ahead of us on the drift. As we drifted towards the bait, we wounded up the excess line keeping the line tight to feel the bites. This technique seemed to let the bait stay almost stationary while you drifted towards it. This gave a chance for the lazy croaker to attack the bait, and BAM....Fish ON! We fished with success in t 6 to 10 feet of water. The hot bait was fresh shrimp on a bottom rig. The second best bait for me was bloodworms. The squid that Steve brought seemed to be the least effective bait. Regardless, all bait caught some fish, but the shrimp was the king. I kept 12 croakers to take home and Steve kepted 14. We must have caught between the two of us 75 croakers. I also caught a crab on my line and a 14 inch eel. We were back on the road at 9:30pm and got back to my place just before midnight. It was a great day and lots of fun to fish in different waters. I'll post some pics later after I recover from the long day.

Great report Moc,
    I've fished there before some years back from shore and its a GREAT spot. Did really well on croaker there also, got eaten up by the bugs though..
    GB

Comment

The bugs started to come out in the late evening, but they were not too bad yet. There were no bugs out on the water for us luckily.

Comment

Awesome job getting on some hot croaker action martin! What size were they running?

Comment

Most were in the 10 to 11 inch range with some 14 or 15 inchers mixed in.

Comment

Originally posted by moc View Post
            I got my quota of May fish once again. On Saturday at the M&G on the Severn I caught 8 White Perch that I kept up to 11 inches. On Sunday, Steve Rehner and I went to the Nanticoke River on the Eastern Shore and fished until 8:30pm. The Eastern shore has alot of roads that seem to end at the water or a small public beach. We explored and found 6 public launch areas (both official boat ramps and unofficial put in areas at small beaches) that was great that gave us access to both the Nanticoke River and the Wicomico River. In the end, because it was alittle windy during the day, we chose to launch from a public marina into the Nanticoke. The trip took us 2.5 hours to get there. We made a stop on the way for some breakfast. It was partly sunny there with temperatures around 72 degrees, but with the sun it felt more like 80 degrees at times. Fishing was tough at first due to the wind and the fast drift. At 4:30pm we got into the fish. The technique that worked best was to through our line ahead of us on the drift. As we drifted towards the bait, we wounded up the excess line keeping the line tight to feel the bites. This technique seemed to let the bait stay almost stationary while you drifted towards it. This gave a chance for the lazy croaker to attack the bait, and BAM....Fish ON! We fished with success in t 6 to 10 feet of water. The hot bait was fresh shrimp on a bottom rig. The second best bait for me was bloodworms. The squid that Steve brought seemed to be the least effective bait. Regardless, all bait caught some fish, but the shrimp was the king. I kept 12 croakers to take home and Steve kepted 14. We must have caught between the two of us 75 croakers. I also caught a crab on my line and a 14 inch eel. We were back on the road at 9:30pm and got back to my place just before midnight. It was a great day and lots of fun to fish in different waters. I'll post some pics later after I recover from the long day.
            Here are some pics from the day....
            Attached Files

Comment

nice catch and i hate those dam skates!!!!!

Comment

nice job. i like janes island sp when over that way. very good fishing

i'll use whole shrimp with head on a jig head and drift it for flounder
                Last edited by surfdog; 05-11-2011, 06:01 PM.

Comment

bottom rig

are you using circle hooks against the mighty croaker.

Comment

Ah those 2 trees, I can remember running for my life with all my surf gear from those two trees to that point of sand! Flies & Skeeters were putting a hurtin on me! Its a longer stretch of beach than it looks in the picture also! I was rewarded with some fantastic Croaker fishing that day though.
                    GB

Comment

Working...
                    X