Lynnhaven Inlet 5/7/2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lynnhaven Inlet 5/7/2011

Got on the water around 9:30am and as with any first timer I was lost.
    Started to the right after getting out of the creek and drifted down towards
    the dock with a flag pole (Is that the infamous flag pole location I
    see people referencing?). I was hunting for some reds but problem
    is I don't know how to find them and fish for them.

Gave up after I reached the flag pole because it was just too shallow
    so I peddled to the other side and followed the boat channel and
    started Jigging for flounder in the middle of the inlet. After a few
    passes, I finally felt a bite and went back for it and hooked up a
    16" flattie. After 2 more, I hit pay dirt and snagged a 20" keeper.
    Another 3 more throw backs and I decided to call it a day around 3pm.

I tried some bottom fishing but was suprised nothing was biting.

Awesome work on the flatties, and it sounds like you figured them out fast. I'm not sure, but it might be a bit early for reds. The time I caught them there, we were fishing a falling tide and were casting into the little cuts into the marsh. I also caught one trolling a Gulp grub. Unfortunately, all the ones I caught were undersized.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

What were you throwing at them? I wonder if the red jig heads with a gulp will work? Do you slow retrieve them or reel them in normal so they will swim?

Comment

guys in Jersey keep it straight down within a foot of the bottom and fast jiggle it .......... sprow bucktail w/ gulp

Just found out my girlfriend's sons just leased a townhouse right on Lynnhaven creek ....... woooo hooo !!!!!!!

Comment

That's what I used for the flounder. I think people use the red jig heads for Reds. That's what I heard from the bait shop when I was in the outer banks.

Comment

For the reds at Lynnhaven, I know I was using a chartreuse Gulp grub, but I can't remember what color jighead it was on. It was probably red, but it might've been white or chartreuse, which doesn't help much. I think most of my 1/8oz to 1/4oz jigheads are red. I picked them up at Bass Pro on my way, and they didn't have many of the colors or sizes I wanted. I've caught them at PLO in Lake Conoy using red or white jigheads. Putting a small bit of Fishbites on the hook with the Gulp grub helps, too. In Lake Conoy, I caught my biggest reds jigging a Gulp shrimp under my yak by the riprap. The biggest red I caught so far, which was just under 18" was on a chartreuse and red spinnerbait at Solomons, so that might be a good color combo.
            Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I haven't seen a puppy drum report in St Jerome's or PLO is such a long time that I think
              they are non existent.

If anyone interested in going down to VA beach area let me know. I usually go visit the in laws in Richmond and head out Saturday mornings since it's only about 1.5 hr drive from Richmond.

Comment

Oh that looks tasty. Nice job on the flounder. I miss those, Its been several years since i caught a legal one.

Comment

Working...
                X