Sail Kit for ProAngler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sail Kit for ProAngler

Since some of you have hinted that the PA is slow, others have added motors, I'm toying with the idea of adding the sail kit. Probably won't be able fish and sail simultaneiously but figure it can get me to a fishing destination faster, in at least some instances.

I'm not a sailor but figure the peddle backup gives a backup. Can rig a system to furl/unfurl the sail one-handed. And it would be cool to leave the Revo's behind.

Any of you try it? Someone maybe have a sail for sale?

google it .......... from what I've read it's kinda flimsy and spills alot of air ........ it will make you go but I don't think it will be as fast as the mirage drive or an engine and the mast will probably get in the way of fishing ........ but hey ....... try it and let us know .........

Comment

I have a sail kit for the outback. I got it with the yak. I'm not very good with it, but I've never really given it a good shot to be honest. There are a lot of videos showing people using it as well as a modification to close it up quickly...a mod that I will probably incorporate at some point.

I think most people use it in unison with the mirage drive to add extra velocity, and I'm sure it probably adds something if you know how to sail...especially since it's been pretty windy lately. Unless the wind is at my back, I can't figure it out.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
      Alan

Comment

Joe (on tidalfish) has a bunch of videos about sailing the Adventure. He made his own sails. His handle on youtube is comeonfish01.
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Hey guys ........ the adventure is a sail boat and the outback is a destroyer and the PA is an aircraft carrier in comparison .......... completely different classes of craft

THe question was about a sail on a PA ............ some people like it ....... can't seem to find the post where they didn't like it but I did read it when I was looking at getting 1

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewt...p?f=78&t=15841

Comment

Great Information

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
            Hey guys ........ the adventure is a sail boat and the outback is a destroyer and the PA is an aircraft carrier in comparison .......... completely different classes of craft

THe question was about a sail on a PA ............ some people like it ....... can't seem to find the post where they didn't like it but I did read it when I was looking at getting 1

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewt...p?f=78&t=15841
            Found another posting on the Hobie site from a sailor who didn't like it. But he was an experienced, serious sailor. Don't know how practical the sail would be to supplement fishing but it looks like it could definitely add some fun.

Comment

Originally posted by BadAssBass View Post
              Found another posting on the Hobie site from a sailor who didn't like it. But he was an experienced, serious sailor. Don't know how practical the sail would be to supplement fishing but it looks like it could definitely add some fun.
              Oh definitely ........ and probably a bunch of gas burners circling you wishing they were you .........

Comment

Joe's videos showed how he had it rigged for one-handed sailing so the sail could be dropped when a fish was on. They also show what he made the sails out of and how he sized them. That stuff might transfer to a PA, at least in concept.
                Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

could be fun and could get you in trouble too. going with the wind and heading past your comfort zone and because they dont tack your going back under your own power into the wind. unless you have 0 body fat and built like a ninja good luck with that

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
                    Joe's videos showed how he had it rigged for one-handed sailing so the sail could be dropped when a fish was on. They also show what he made the sails out of and how he sized them. That stuff might transfer to a PA, at least in concept.
                    I think he dropped the sail but not the mast. It's the mast that would get in the way if you had a big fish on that went around the front of the boat ........ you wouldn't be able to go around or over it easily .......

Comment

Working...
                    X