Tampa Bay Day 3 - redfish and snook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tampa Bay Day 3 - redfish and snook

We launched at 7:15 this morning and paddled 20 minutes to some mangrove shorelines in 3-4 ft depth.

006.jpg

The wind was stronger than expected, so we anchored up about 50 yds out and cast to the shoreline. Initially we cast right to the edge of the mangroves but as the tide dropped we moved our casts out further. An hour in to the trip, I hooked my first redfish in a while (21"). Over the next hour and a half I caught 7 snook, while Neil had 2 redfish and several snook.

008.jpg 001.jpg 004.jpg

He was confident we could find trout on the way back in to complete the inshore slam. Alas, the trout were not where they had been located for the past month and we missed our slam oppportunity.

All fish were caught today on a 1/8-oz jighead and 12 Fathom 3" Fat Sam mullet in a red and gold pattern.

005.jpg

We saw manatees again today. Today's trip was not as long as yesterday. After the tide dropped and the sun was high, Neil felt our good bite opportunities were done. Tomorrow we plan to fish two separate locations to fill in some of the catching holes from the other 3 days.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Looks like you're having a good time!

How would peddles work there?
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
      Looks like you're having a good time!

How would peddles work there?
      Many of the areas where we fish or travel through are 1-2 ft deep. Pedal power is used by some kayak anglers here, but most use paddle power boats. When we fished the bridge pilings for black drum and pompano the other day, I wished I had my Slayer Propel to hold position.
      John Veil
      Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Here are a few more photos that Neil sent me.

IMAG2325.jpg IMAG2333.jpg IMAG2331.jpg
        John Veil
        Annapolis

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
          Many of the areas where we fish or travel through are 1-2 ft deep. Pedal power is used by some kayak anglers here, but most use paddle power boats. When we fished the bridge pilings for black drum and pompano the other day, I wished I had my Slayer Propel to hold position.
          Fishing the Bay Bridge here the other day I was holding position with my Hobie; paddle fishers have to be serious multi-taskers to do it...my hat's off to them.
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

Nice pics John! Not sure I've seen a kayak with that many stickers....LOL!
            Hobie fleet:
            2017 Quest 13
            2015 Outback
            2014 Outback

Comment

Great Job John, beautiful reds and snook!
              2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
              2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
              2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

John,

Nice red! See you when you get home.

T,
                Terry Hill

<*)))><{ <*)))><{

<*)))><{

<*)))><{

Santa Cruz RAPTOR

Comment

You're having too much fun down there.
                  2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                  2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                  2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

nice catches looks like a lot of fun
                    D Hawk
                    Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
                    Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

Day 4

We finished the trip with a double header. We launched at dawn to paddle across a lagoon then through a short mangrove tunnel with very little overhead and lateral clearance.

001.jpg

We anchored up and cast to mangrove shoreline like yesterday. The water was high and falling. We tried several spots then found the school of reds. I had a 24" red about 8:00 am followed a few minutes later by another red at 22". I caught 6 snook in the same area. Then they were gone. We tried a bunch of other spots but the fish were not there or were not biting anymore.

IMAG2350.jpg IMAG2355a.jpg 003.jpg

We got off the water by 10:30 and had a late breakfast. At noon, we launched again at the bridge where I had hooked the black drum on Day 1. In three hours of jigging, I caught 1 jack, 1 sheepshead, and 1 snapper.

004.jpg

Neil hooked several black drum, caught a cobia, a jack, and some snapper. He definitely had a better touch on the light jig than I did. We finished at 3:00. My arms are worn out from casting, jigging, and maneuvering to hold position around the pilings.
                      Last edited by J.A. Veil; 09-29-2014, 09:44 AM.
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis

Comment

John,

I think my first redfish will be this January in Tampa since Virginia and Maryland waters have let me down so far this year.

I hope you released that 24 incher to be caught again by another out-of-state angler this winter.

You've had another excellent Tampa trip.
                        Mark
                        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
                        X