Where would you go around Topsail NC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where would you go around Topsail NC?

I'm staying down on Topsail, NC for Memorial Day and I have been trying to do some google scouting. Has anyone ever fished down here? Last year I took the course in Red bc it was the first large creek I encountered and the boat traffic was minimal. I caught a couple of small flounder at this creek mouth on gulp and mud minnows. The next creek over was pretty serious with boats flying out of the ICW and heading out to sea. I am contemplating heading to Lea Island which is the small island on the other side of the inlet to fish for reds/specs/flounder on the back side. It's a hike and a lot of channel to cross on a holiday weekend. I'd be worried about coming back in when the people wake up and start drinking.

The second option would be to fish out front of where I am staying and try to find fish near the pier while avoiding getting lead to the head. Or similar location on the island but the back side by the bridge.

Third option would be to head to the north end and fish the new river inlet. I've never been to the north, always gone south for some reason, but the waves on google earth look pretty insane and I know the south inlet has huge waves and it's only an ICW coming out...

Where would you go?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Redfish12; 05-04-2011, 09:35 AM.
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

hum death looks interesting. are there any county ramp maps available? that creek to the north of the new river inlet looks good.

Comment

Hey man the area near New river inlet, the little cove to the north, that you marked off is a well known spot. I've fished there myself and have had some really good days there. The inlet is quite hairy but manageable and a GREAT flounder spot for quality doormats while bottom fishing. This inlet does close from time to time because of exercises going on near or on base. If there's a naval ship of the coast its best to call the game warden on Camp Lejeune to make sure you're not in the middle of someones training area. Also, the old Marina Cafe in Jacksonville has an empty parking lot and a spot you could launch your kayak. If you go down river you'll get close to the Naval Hospital and a point, aptly named "Hospital Point", There is some real great structure here and well worth checking out. There's also lots of old pound net pilings and pilings where sailboats use to moor. They almost always hold a couple of fish. Fishing there is expansive and really the key is to just find structure, current, or both. Evenings this time of year are prime time for topwater speckled trout action in tight coves where bait gets trapped. Spook Jrs and Yo-Zuri's are king. Low tide at New River inlet gives light to really nice sand bars when the water is high. The low tide is also the best time to find flats to cast net mullet (the REALLY big ones, ~1lb, I've caught with shrimp and are the best for Kings past the surf zone don't think they're in thick yet though) or mud minnows for bait. Cheers! Hopefully I'll see you down there!
        www.anglerswithoutborders.com
        Travel. Explore. Fish.

Comment

(910) 451-5226 Game Wardens #
          www.anglerswithoutborders.com
          Travel. Explore. Fish.

Comment

I have never fished there before but from the pics it looks like a lot of options available.

The back water area looks great if like you said you can avoid the boat traffic. All those bars and channels look like prime flounder areas.

The area marked death looks safe as long as you stay away from those shoals

Although that area looks like a prime area for fish to ambush prey. Maybe big live mullet or small blue under a float inside the shoal line.

The area out front could be great. I'm not sure if the kings and Spanish are around in May but i bet there are some cobia swimming around there then. Maybe anchor up and chum with a live bait in the water.

I sure you could at least chum up a shark or two there

I'm heading down to Corolla for a week at the end of July. I'm doing the same type of research for my trip there.

Comment

Skunked, skunked hard. I couldn't even catch a pinfish by the old gov pier in the sound which I thought was a sure thing. I'm hoping this weekend up here will be better!

Comment

damn sorry to hear that. i thought it would be on fire by now

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                  Skunked, skunked hard.
                  Ouch! What surf said. Dang...

Comment

Hey ......... bath in tomato juice and get back out there ........ problem is your fishin for southern fish .......... seems the farther north you fish the better luck you have ..........

Comment

No kidding. Will tomato juice help with my mosquito bites, poison oak, and chigger bites? At least the noseeums don't leave a lasting bite.

I can't wait for fall already.

Comment

Nail polish kills chiggers...cuts off their air supply- antihistamenes reduce the swelling of insect bites- and boric acid paste stops the itching
                        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Thanks for the tips, I think i killed them with gasoline last night. I can barely stay awake from the benadryl already. Should be good to go this weekend!

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                            No kidding. Will tomato juice help with my mosquito bites, poison oak, and chigger bites? At least the noseeums don't leave a lasting bite.

I can't wait for fall already.

Ok ....... I think I know why you didn't catch fish ............ fish aren't in the woods ........

Comment

those southern bugs dont cotton to no yankees dam chiggers skeeters noseeums the only ones left are fire ants and horse flies

Comment

Working...
                              X