Charleston SC & Savannah GA 8/31 - 9/5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charleston SC & Savannah GA 8/31 - 9/5

Had a free place to stay in Charleston and Savannah so I went on the road for Labor Day Week.

Charleston, Started by fishing the upper end of the Wando River on the suggestion of a baitshop. Tons of bait with mullet and shrimp all over the place. Spent Monday the 1st on the water from dark to dark trolling, throwing live bait, top water and soft plastics to the tune of a few rat reds under 13 inches and a handful of specs about the same. Best areas were the mouth of cuts and creek mouths where the bait was getting stacked up during the low tides. During the high tide, there are so many grass flats that I had no idea where to begin, I tried a variety of spots but couldn't locate a bite shallow or deep. The next day I switched to the Charleston Harbor Inlet and the jetties there. Launched next to Ft Moultrie and worked my way out on the outgoing and rode the incoming back in. Caught a bunch of Black Sea Bass up to 12inches, a 29 inch red along with a few rats, a couple pin fish, a ladyfish and was busted off by a biggg fish. I think it was a tarpon, took a live lined pin fish and took off, spun the kayak and had me at 5mph in the 1st 30 seconds and then came to the surface, jumped and broke my 50lb leader... I was looking somewhere else for some reason and didn't see the fish but the swirl was as big as a car. Ran out of bait shorty after that and headed back in. Got some lunch some fiddlers and hit Breach inlet just to the north. Was just hopping to waste away some time till the low tide and started working the fiddlers around the bridge pilings and dock pilings and found a honey hole! My first Sheephead followed by another 20 or so of his friends and many more lost and missed bites. No real hogs but some solid fish to 17 inches. Was so much fun, I had to come back the next day for a few hours before I hit the road to Savannah and caught a few more.

Savannah. Fished the Ogeechee River by Ft McAllister the first day because it was close, didn't turn out to be a very good idea. Busted a fish off, think it was a small shark, caught a couple rays and had a small shark steal a large mullet I was live lining. The next day I deciding to hit some of my old stomping grounds and fish the Back River off Tybee Island. Was quite a mixed bag. Caught pinfish, whiting, bluefish, ladyfish, specs, reds, a lizardfish, croaker, a flounder, and a pair of sharks. The first shark was pretty nice! I was bouncing a finger mullet along the bottom ocean side when my line took off, first time in a while I thought I was going to be spooled! Thought it was a big ray from the way it was fighting, long runs with no real head shakes and then just kinda dead weight followed by more blistering runs. Put my lexa 300 and MH Bass rod to the test but after 20 minutes or so I glimpsed a fin and realized it was something else. Another 10 minutes or so later I finally got my hand on the leader and "landed" him. Not sure what the technical definition of landing a 6-7 ft shark in a kayak is because he sure wasn't coming in with me but my 2ft leader in hand several times counts in my book Any ideas on what kind of shark it is???
    Last edited by chimo; 09-07-2014, 12:42 PM.

Wayne - Congratulations on an excellent trip. You found many desirable species plus some pretty large individual fish. That shark must have given a good fight.
    Last edited by J.A. Veil; 09-09-2014, 06:47 AM.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

kool report...varied species...the shark...big fish bro!! i would agree the shark would not make a good 1st mate in the yak with ya...

Comment

Nice report. That shark is something fierce, man. I can't believe you didn't put him in the yak with you. That turtle should just be happy the shark didnt eat him. I am sure he is fine.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
        Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
        2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Wow Wayne! I'm really impressed. I've always been in awe of someone who can go to new waters and make it out with different species under his/her belt. I still have a lot that I'd like to learn and seeing your report continues the inspiration. Thanks bro!
          And that's a heck of a shark!
          -Mustafa
          ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
          2016 Hobie Outback
          2012 Hobie Revolution 13
          "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
            That turtle should just be happy the shark didnt eat him. I am sure he is fine.
            He swam right away once I was able to remove the hook. I was kinda bummed when I saw him, thought it was a nice red lol.

Comment

Those sea turtles are known for their long, fast, drag-peeling runs. lol

Hobie Fishing Team Member
              Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
              2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
                Wow Wayne! I'm really impressed. I've always been in awe of someone who can go to new waters and make it out with different species under his/her belt. I still have a lot that I'd like to learn and seeing your report continues the inspiration. Thanks bro!
                And that's a heck of a shark!
                Just a couple simple steps will get you a long way. 1) ask locals and baitshops 2) find the bait, the bigger fish won't be far away and 3) keep it simple, a fish finder rig with a live shrimp/mullet or other local bait will catch fish where ever you are and 4) fish are fish are fish, when in the salt finding current over and around structure especially when there is bait around and you will usually find fish.

Comment

Originally posted by chimo View Post
                  Just a couple simple steps will get you a long way. 1) ask locals and baitshops 2) find the bait, the bigger fish won't be far away and 3) keep it simple, a fish finder rig with a live shrimp/mullet or other local bait will catch fish where ever you are and 4) fish are fish are fish, when in the salt finding current over and around structure especially when there is bait around and you will usually find fish.
                  Thanks bro!
                  -Mustafa
                  ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                  2016 Hobie Outback
                  2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                  "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Great report Wayne!! You always seem to produce nice fish!
                    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Excellent! I've been down that way once, but now you have me itching to get back there to try again!
                      Brian

Comment

Well done Wayne, I kind of hoping for a selfie of you and that shark.
                        Jim

Hobie Outback
                        TKAA member
                        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

Yeah, nice catches. And that shark, kinda spooky. And that's a good size lizard fish too.
                          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Working...
                          X