Three steps forward two steps back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three steps forward two steps back

Well ........... finally got everything together to test the engine rig .....

First I fixed the rudder that bound up ......... took it apart and loaded it with silicone ....... smooth however I mounted it wrong on the seat.

Second, the motor mount was delivered but the cross members were too short ....... the company replaced them and they came in last week ...... the rods are made of some tough aluminium ....... must have used some cheap drill bits because 2 of them twisted and broke ....... back to the hardware store for a good drill bit and screw ........ finally together .....

Bought a battery yesterday and headed to Rocky point to test it out ........
    Went to mount the engine and discovered the counter weight had fallen off on the ride over ........ without the counterweight the PA tilted a little on the engine side ......

The engine pushed the PA reall nice but the shaft on the engine is too short even with the PA leaning toward the engine side, there was a bit of cavitation ......... can't believe Motorguide would make an engine made for a Yak with so many great features and make the shaft too short ....... it's almost like they didn't test it on a yak ......... a 24" - 30" shaft would have been great ........ I'll be taking the engine back to BPS

The yak steered great with both the rudder and the engine ........ that is until the steering box came off the seat in my hand ....... apparently I had slid it into the wrong mounting slot. When I finally put it back into the right slot, the steering was way off ......... would turn to the right but not the left ......... Headed back in ........ put the yak back in the truck and must have twisted/strained my back putting the battery/yak in the truck ........ found the counterweight at a redlight on the way ...... thank God it didn't falll off while on the beltway ........ 20 lb weight bouncing on the highway @ 60 MPH would have killed someone .....

Tried to readjust the rudder and the nut fell off of the rudder drum and thought I would have to take the whole drum off to fix it but I found the screws attaching the rudder control cover were the same size only longer and allowed me to catch the threads without taking it apart ......... Ya'd think the Hobie engineers would be smart enough to think of that ........

Well ....... everything is back together and adjusted ....... steering is smooth and back together ........

Missed my Granddaughters birthday party because my ack is so sore I can hardly walk ........ but muscle relaxers are wonderful .........

Learned that I like engines on yaks, where the steering control goes, and how to lube the steering cables .....

Learned the Motorguide kayak engine is too short for the Hobie PA .......

As I said .......... 3 steps forward ...... 2 steps back .......
    Last edited by Memory Maker; 05-01-2011, 06:09 PM.

looks like Murphy is following you around you'll get it, rest you back, nothing wose than a bad back on a yak

Comment

Maybe you'll have gotten rid of all the gremlins on this first trip, and it'll be smooth yakking from here out.
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Sounds like you worked out all the R&D bugs and great snag on finding the counter weight on the road.

What other shaft length options do you have for a motor? Can you custom order one from motorguide?

Comment

Originally posted by mmanolis2001 View Post
          Sounds like you worked out all the R&D bugs and great snag on finding the counter weight on the road.

What other shaft length options do you have for a motor? Can you custom order one from motorguide?
          There's only 1 shaft length that I know of ....... 18" ......... the crazy stupid thing is that you can't seem to get what you need .......... this engine has most of what I want except the length. The next size up is 30" but that's only for a 30# thrust ....... to get a 45# I have to get a 36" shaft .........

I want a 24 - 30" shaft ..... forward/reverse, maximizer, telescoping handle, battery monitor ........ If you find 1 please let n me know .......

Comment

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
            looks like Murphy is following you around you'll get it, rest you back, nothing wose than a bad back on a yak
            Yep ....... Murphy's my best friend lately ........ home now but ack is a little better ....... was going to go to work but I have about a 1/2 mile from the parking lot to my desk ........

Hey ....... glad you had a good informational trip to the promised land ........ for me a bad day there is better than a good day here ........ you'll load up on them the next time ...... always happens ......

Comment

yeah friday morning was very nice too bad it was spent in the truck looking for folly creek i know all the back roads now

Comment

Working...
              X