More croakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More croakers

I went kayak fishing with a Tidalfisher named Steve Rehner. We decided on launching from Chesapeake Beach after reading Metroman's report. We got a late start. We made it to the Marina around 8pm, but we had to hunt around for some squid. We already had Fishbites and fresh shrimp for you bottom fishing rigs.

We evenually found some squid that did not look like it was freezer burned from last years crop. We paddled out and headed towards the North Beach pier and drift fish. I landed only two croakers. Steve landed one. Needless to say that the fishing was slow. We fished from 9:30pm until 12:30am and then paddled back.

The fish only wanted our fresh shrimp and nothing else. They measured 10 to 13 inches. It was still great to be out on the water. The water was calm and the winds died down completely from earlier in the day.

Nice work, Martin. Sorry to hear the action wasn't still hot, but it sounded like a nice evening on the water.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Good job guys even though your luck wasnt that great. For some reason this time of year fish bites are not very effective in my experience. Fresh bloodworms and shrimp are the trick. Whenever you want to go out again let me know. We actually anchored up and didnt drift the entire time we were out.

Comment

Sounds like a good night even though the fishing was slow! The artificial stuff needs warmer water to disperse the scent so fresh is best until things get warmer. They made a faster release fishbite formula to try and address that issue but i have never noticed much improvement. Cooked shrimp soaked in garlic, smashed crab, or squid is my go to in the Potomac. Squid is my fav if I don't have time to make the other stuff.
        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

It was a nice time on the water. It was very calm and makes me want to go out and give it another try now that I know where the boat ramp is. We had other baits as I mentioned before for testing, but it was only the shrimp that produced. We could have picked up some bloodworms from a gas station but we did not feel like paying over $10 for them at this time. Maybe bloodworms would have produced more. Also maybe the slow drift was a problem too as opposed to anchoring. We just thought since the water was so calm that the drift was slow enough that we did not have to anchor. Regardless, it was great trying out another new spot on the kayak. Thanks for the tips Metroman. Call me anytime you guys are going out ..... This kayak fishing is addictive.

Comment

nice martin, ive been adding the fast acting fbs with bws to keep sent in the water after the bws are washed out. went to the international market and got some jumbo squid and shrimp 2 weeks ago and salted them down, works great makes them tougher and no refrigeration needed. been keeping them in my truck and they dont stink at all.

Comment

How did you and Grady Black do down south this weekend?

Comment

Dag man I was hoping yall would get more action than that!
                <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Working...
                X