OBX-Nags Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OBX-Nags Head

The week started pretty rough with the winds blowing at 25-30MPH and the wind finally let up to 15MPH and I launched at Washington Baum Bridge and used fish worms to catch different looking spot and then live-lining them as well trying for sheepshead along the bridge pilings hoping to pick up a new species. While the sand flea was soaking the rod bent and I got extremely excited thinking I just hooked into my first sheepshead. I tightened the drag to keep the fish out of the pilings and up came a 23" striper. Can't say I was disappointed more amazed it ate a frozen sand flea. Also with the wind and the current blowing the same way I made a makeshift piling hugger with 50lb leader and a circle hook. I think I may make something similar to a wreck anchor but kayak size.

20140829_090657.jpg20140829_084520.jpg

Nice healthy looking fish! What's the keeper size down there?

Good idea with the piling hugger, but I'm curious how did you get the line around the piling? Really long arms? LOL
    -Mustafa
    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
    2016 Hobie Outback
    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

nice, I've heard of striper bring caught on fleas on more than one occasion and even witnessed it with metroman last year in VB
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

9/7 - 9/13

Amazingly calm when we got here. Jamaican waves and thousands of dolphins.
        The next day the weather turned bad and stayed with us until Tuesday.

On Tuesday I hit the National Seashore on Pea Island to try a surf launch. I knew I shouldn't do it. The waves were huge and there were white caps beyond. But that was a major goal for me. I really wanted to learn the surf launch. So out I went. And back in I came like an old discarded shell tumbling in the sand.

At one point I got behind the yak to steer and push it over a breaker. The force of the wave pushed it back at me slamming the rudder system into my chest. Damn glad I was wearing a PFD.

IMG_1340.jpg

After that I tried one more time and finally got out there, but I was way too tired to fish. Besides this was only a test and fortunately I left all the gear on shore.
        Made it back to shore, put the yak away and got busy surf fishing. Caught one sea mullet but I couldn't figure out a way to live line it from shore without beating the fish up on a cast.

The following day I tried to surf launch again and had a little better go of it but also went back to surf fishing. After some time without any luck we headed north to Corolla. Up there it was much more crowded but for a good reason, the drum were biting. Didn't see anything Shady size, but I caught a couple. One 18" and another 26".

Probably head up there again today. This morning it looks like the Jamacan waves are back again.
        Not sure I'll take the kayak out again. It realy beat the crap out of me. But I learned alot.
        2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
        Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

The last couple of summers in Duck, NC the fishing was always better for me on days when the wind direction was blowing from the ocean, to the shore. That resulted in warmer water closer to shore. If you can find a way, fish the Army Corp of Engineers Pier in Duck. Plenty of fish at that location. Triggers, blues, specks, sharks!
          Also have caught black drum and redfish in the Sound side. Very shallow near shore and near grass.

Comment

Thanks for sharing, enjoying the play-by-play. And...OUCH...hope that heals up soon. Good luck fishing!
            Hobie Outback - Orange

Where Land Ends...Life Begins

Comment

Working...
            X