4/27 - Skipton Landing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4/27 - Skipton Landing

Went perch fishing yesterday at Skipton Landing, I was the only one on the water except for a watermen setting his snapping turtle traps. First time I had seen this. He said he sells the turtles to a broker who exports them live by plane to China. He said the market is good, China is breeding the turtles on turtle farms.

Fishing was good, arrived about an hour before high tide, tried throwing a couple jigs and lures with no luck, went to 1/8 jig with a nightcrawler, and a float, caught fish after fish, 5 - 10". I think using a float and drifting was the trick, fish were not real active.

Went to a jig with a straight white grub tail, first strike was a very large carp. I only had 4 lb test and a 5'5" rod so the fight was fun. I let him take line and pull me around for about 10 minutes. When I got him close and could reach to lift him out of the water the 4 lb test snapped just from lifting the weight of the fish straight up. Did get to see the fish, actually came out of the water when he took the bait.

All in all it was a good couple hours on the water, just had to play the wind some.
Working...
X