My Kayak Crate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Kayak Crate

Hey everyone I'm new to the boards but I have been Kayaking for a few years now. However I have just discovered fishing from a Kayak and like you all know, It is a very addicting and enjoyable hobby. Rigging your personal Kayak to your own likings can be fun, challenging and ultimately very satisfying.

So enter the Kayak Crate. Trial and error plays a key role when you are self designing and building a Kayak Crate. Sure you could skip all that and buy a crate from a store that is fully rigged, but where is the fun in that? Build it yourself and your guaranteed to get what you want rigged how you like it. Enough of the chit chat, here is my Crate:

My pliers and scissors are rigged right in the front of the crate for easy over the shoulder access. I dont mind if they rust because I have several other pairs.

As you can see I slapped a lid on after an initial design that was open with no lid. Not having a lid concerned me because obviously you dont plan to turn over but it is usually best to prepare for the worst. The lid is held down with a simple bungie loop that keeps it tightly closed but is still easily accessible, just unhook the top hook and it comes right open.

The Crate is split in half by my lure case from corner to corner. This may look like it would prohibit gear storage and access but It is actually quite effective. The items in the back half of the crate are completely secured by four walls with no chance of leaving the crate in case of a flip over. These items include my dry jar (keys, wallet, cell phone), a bailer, extra rope stored in the bottom (never know when you might need an escape rope). The front half of the crate is for food and drinks which are accessible without having to open the crate. The opening in the front allows you to reach behind with ease to grab a water or a snack when needed.

You want people to see your rig and say "Whoa that is really cool. I would love to try that." And you want to personalize in order to stand out from the pack. I added a Baltimore Ravens flag to the back that I was initially concerned with getting tangled in while fishing but I have yet to have that problem. The crate itself is strapped down to the Kayak with an extra long strap that is tied down to the Kayak three ways. This assures that the crate is secure, self contained and is of no risk of leaving the Kayak.

Obviously it being rigged on a sit inside kayak makes it basically impossible to open while in the boat, but as I stated before you can access your food and drink whenever needed and my fishing poles are just a slight reach away. I am thinking of upgrading to a sit on top that will allow for sitting side saddle which would allow for the crate to be opened on the water if needed.

Well thats it everybody. Feel free to leave your comments, tips, questions or concerns as I would love to hear from everyone. Thanks for reading.

Looks nice man, I just got a sit in and am working on setting up a crate. My yak has a recessed area for a crate so I am playing with a few ideas still. This helped a lot. Thanks.

Comment

Nice work. I like the bungee secured lid. I might do something like that to my Crate Mate (I took the easy way out via a gift from the missus).
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Its a great start. My crate will be a work in progress as i fish off my prowler i try different ways of rigging my crate. At the moment i am using four pipes pvc 1 1/4" by 12" tall with a 1/4" hole drilled for a leash which consists of an 8" piece of rope and a spring loaded carabiner. My pvc is strapped to each corner with a large (3/8 or 1/2" black plastic ties ***black ties are uv and sunlight resistant***) and also hot glued in
        any hand tools pliers knife whatever will have carabiners also.
        good fishing all !
        go tandem or go alone !

Freefall Gemini Tandem

OK Prowler Trident 13 FINALLY in the water !
        a floating work in progress

Comment

Working...
        X